Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,695   Online: 873

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So, my 500gr Ammonium Dichromate came trough today!! Very fast I must say, I ordered it on Saturday and it's already here. It was well packed in a sturdy plastic container just like it should. The company who has send it to me may expect repeat business with me.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    35mm
    Out of curiosity, how much did your dichromate cost, and how much were the shipping fees?

--Greg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    the Ammonium Dichromate (500g) itself costed me 32.25 Euro without tax (19%), shipping was a whopping 27 Euro without tax (possibly they used a fast courier service, hence the expense and it's flat rate so if you order more it stays the same). All in all it grossed out on 69.33 Euro tax included. Pretty expensive for such a small quantity but it's not that there are many options to choose from here in retarded Belgium. Like I said, it's easier to get illegal weapons and even more easy to get illegal hard drugs than this harmless (if used correctly!) chemical.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    35mm
    That doesn't seem too far out of line, actually.

Bostick & Sullivan have it at USD$72, the Formulary at USD$69 (454 grams). Both likely have a haz-mat shipping fee of $25 additional.

That comes out to around 70 euro, at today's exchange rates.

--Greg

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I also thought it was a bit on the expensive side, but now when I checked, my price for 600 grams came out to about 70 euros too (43 euros and the rest tax and shipping).
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Just like with potassium dichromate it is not allowed to sell ammonium dichromate (or any other chromium VI substance) to private persons in the European Union. Some suppliers still don't know this. For businesses it might be easier to purchase, but in case you are not known as a chemical business that still might be problematic.

The reason behind it: it is a well known strong carcinogen.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chiba System

http://www.polychrome.nl/file_download/3/

"Achieving non-toxicity for these systems means replacing the dichromate
    sensitizer and secondly to avoid the practise of hardening the substrate. An
    alternative sensitizer is presented and hardening is avoided by using modified
    working methods.
    The chemistry utilised for this purpose is iron based, red-ox induced, free radical
    polymerization. The sensitizer is ammonium ferric citrate, using either hydrogen
    peroxide or ammonium persulphate as developer."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMeut View Post

The reason behind it: it is a well known strong carcinogen.
    So are cigarettes and the like but those are easy to get. I find such regulations very dubious to say the least, after all, who would order stuff like that if they didn't have a practical use for it and know what they are doing? I don't think people with no idea of what a Gum Print is would ever order Ammonium Dichormate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Chiba System

http://www.polychrome.nl/file_download/3/

"Achieving non-toxicity for these systems means replacing the dichromate
    sensitizer and secondly to avoid the practise of hardening the substrate. An
    alternative sensitizer is presented and hardening is avoided by using modified
    working methods.
    The chemistry utilised for this purpose is iron based, red-ox induced, free radical
    polymerization. The sensitizer is ammonium ferric citrate, using either hydrogen
    peroxide or ammonium persulphate as developer."
    Interesting read you linked here, I've send it straight to my e-reader to investigate this option further. Thanx.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I don't make the laws, and I do not always agree to them. Politicians in general have not the slightest knowledge of toxicology and several are chemophobics.

On the other hand: there are quite some idiots around that do not use dangerous chemicals with the respect they deserve. Maybe it therefor is not unwise to try to protect these people against themselves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin