Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,338   Online: 758

Shooter
    35mm

Cyanotype suitability

Hello,

I'm curious about cyanotype suitability for a project of mine. I want to put cyanotype photographs on the sides of a square candle holder...but I've heard light fades cyanotypes and I'm also unsure if any heat from the candle will be an issue. Also, will regular glass hold the print well or should I etched the glass first?

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Cyanotype emulsion is not going to adhere to glass. I doubt even etching the glass will provide sufficient tooth to hold it in an even coating.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I experimented with making cyanotypes on glass a year back or so. I coated the glass with albumen and mixed the cyanotype emulsion in a gel median. It stuck to the glass, but I moved on to other things before I could really see how well it worked. I'd probably use a hardened gelatin instead of the albumen today, (maybe omitting the gel median as well).

And you could probably use a UV protecting varnish to help with the fading, but I'm also unsure about the effect of heat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin