Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,265   Posts: 1,534,321   Online: 762

Shooter
    Multi Format

pinhole 4x5 negatives and cynotype?

hey all,

It been a while, I am looking to shoot 4x5 pinhole negatives with a 4x5 pinhole camera I have built, I don't have access to an enlarger at the moment so I was thinking about making cyanotypes with the 4x5 pinhole negatives. My question is is there any suggestions for the negatives. Should I under or overexpose the negatives?

thanks,
    Scott Hunnicutt
    Last edited by Schunn99; 04-29-2012 at 10:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Very beautiful results can be had, Rae uses this very process for her work and works with negs exposed and balanced for silver jelly printing

However, a word of caution, big bugger caution - In one image the paper was not completely dry, although it felt like it was, and in the printing frame in the sun it sweated and caused some of the paper fibres to stick to the film - These could only be removed by washing, which also bleached the film - This was a real piss-off

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rae110214.3.neg.stain.sm.crop.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	50159

The image shows the Arches paper fibre pattern sweated on to the neg'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For best results, you need a negative with a density range around log 1.6. And, definitely use a thin (2mil / 50micron) mylar (or similar) protective film between the paper and the negative; it won't hurt sharpness much, but will fully protect the film from mishaps like the one shown above...

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I did some work with a home built 4x5 pinhole in the 80's. I was never happy with the focal length I chose because it was too wide and composition was hard to read except at close viewing range. The pictures looked better when enlarged and had surprising sharpness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin