Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,430   Online: 938

Shooter
    Medium Format

Glass and ten plates ...

Hello, I am new here and just starting collodion. I have just about everything I need to start. I have a brownie I was going to start with but before i got going i found a nice half plate. its in the mail and should be here this week. am going to shoot mostly glass and I have a piece of black aluminum. i have a few questions.

1. best way to get glass plates. i tried cutting my own and I can do it but they are pretty rough and I waste a bit of glass. I am thinking about either ordering a bunch of cut glass, getting a strip cutter, does anyone have a good way to do this.

2 I have a large sheet of black aluminum.. metal cutters will bend the ends how do i cut the metal without bending it.

Lastly anyone in the bay area shoot wet plates it would be cool if I could find someone who would let me watch and get some tips from.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most any US hardware store will cut glass plates to order, and glass is really inexpensive. Some photo supply houses stock precut glass plates as well. I have gotten some from the Formulary.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just to add to what ron said ...
    i get my dryplates ( glass ) from a glass place
    they were cheaper than the local lowses or home despot.
    the black aluminum i am using for dry gelatin tin types
    cuts with a guillotine paper cutter ... its ez
    god luck !
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG David
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Morton Portable Glass Shop jig has saved me many dollars cutting stained glass for wetplate. If you aren't going to cut much, just be sure to get a pistol grip type cutter that has an oil reservoir. That will increase your success as well.

A heavy-duty guillotine paper cutter will be OK for metal plates but you might find it worthwhile just to have the vendor cut it for you. I once used a metalworking shear and liked it much better than the paper cutter. The paper cutter has a tendency to bend one corner of each plate. Alas, the $hear co$t$.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you .. i fount a local glass shop that cut plates for me for a dollar a plate. for now I can afford that. I think when i go to larger plates I will need to learn to cut glass properly.

Images
    I went to a glass shop in college to get some frame glass for a weird sized frame. The frame shop was going to charge an arm and a leg. The glass guy ended up being very busy and short handed that day. He handed me a cork backed metal ruler a glass cutter, a pair of leather gloves and showed me what to do. I cut my glass and helped him out a little with other cuts so I did not have to pay for the glass I was getting. It really was that easy. I left with a glass cutter and some advice- Buy a good quality glass cutter and Don't be afraid to cut the glass.

When you go get your glass cut ask to watch then do it your self from then on. You will save money. Oh yeah get a sanding block too to polish the edges.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin