Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,810   Online: 858

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Platinum/Palladium printing ethics and disclosure

With my retirement pending I will soon, for the first time in my life, have time and some money to spend on taking my 40 year on/off hobby more seriously. I've decided to concentrate on platinum printing from in camera negatives shot on an 8x10. I want to spend my time becoming as good a platinum printer as I can be by concentrating all my efforts in this direction.

My questions are directed at those of you who create platinum prints from in camera negatives and sell to the public.

Should prints made from digital negatives, particularly if they are enlarged from 35mm, medium format or digital camera files, be sold as being printed from a digital negative to differentiate them from, what I would call, a traditional platinum print?

Does it matter to serious buyers and collectors?

I'm not suggesting that printers shouldn't use digital negatives but i do think the "purity" of a traditional process should at least be recognised by disclosing digital input when it applies.

Mike Bell

Shooter
    Large Format
    If I'm just displaying print(s) at an exhibit, I'll merely note "pt/pd print". If I'm actually trying to sell, then I would expand the description to something like "traditional pt/pd print" or include "from in-camera neg". I think its important that both sides of any transaction understand or have all the pertinent information. Otherwise, the transaction suffers from asymmetric information (Joe Stilglitz).
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think it does not matter how you got to the print. The print is made and it is either successful or not. I'd leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    If I'm just displaying print(s) at an exhibit, I'll merely note "pt/pd print". If I'm actually trying to sell, then I would expand the description to something like "traditional pt/pd print" or include "from in-camera neg". I think its important that both sides of any transaction understand or have all the pertinent information. Otherwise, the transaction suffers from asymmetric information (Joe Stilglitz).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I do both in camera negs and enlarged dupes (done on an enlarger). I don't specifically indicate they are one or the other. However I show a bit of edge so someone who knows the difference can see it. I don't think it is something to be concerned about on a title card. I do generally indicate it in places where more information is appropriate, like flickr or in bios.
    What I do have a problem with is someone being dishonest. Making an enlarged or digital neg and then presenting it as in camera. It would be easy for me to do that. I would merely need to use a film holder to hold duplicating film under the enlarger. I don't do that.
    My enlarged negs are generally larger than my in camera negs. So the value of enlarging them is obvious. My in camera negs are mostly 8x10 and my enlarged negs are 9.5x12
    Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I show the rebate of the film, so unless I photoshop that onto a MF or 35mm negative, one can tell the type of negative used.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I see no reason to think you need to specify unless you feel it necessary. The print as an object is still PT/PD and the negative used doesn't matter one bit.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would be far more concerned with someone tweaking a digital file to "look like" a platinum or palladium print, printing it via inkjet and then calling it a "platinum" print (and there are idiots out there who do that). The times that I have done digitally enlarged images from 2 1/4 negs, I have at least kept the proportions of the original negative (square) and/or included the edge of the negative to show the medium format camera film gate (I still have a little inner Hasselblad snob in me). If anyone asks about the how/when/where/why of it, I'll gladly explain. The only things I've done to the files digitally is dust/scratch removal and applying printing curves to help the digital negative work with platinum or palladium (and when working from digital files, you do need to make a different negative for each type because the contrast is different).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I make pt/pd prints from in camera negatives (4x5) as well as from enlarged negatives (x-ray duplicating film and digital enlarged negatives). I like to show the coating but have found that some like it better when they are "clean". I don't really indicate what type of negative was used and it has never been an issue. I prefer film negatives but the recipients of the prints are interested in the image more than the process.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Remember, nobody else is thinking about it as hard as you are..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the point of view of a maker and collector of photographs the relationship a photograph has to its subject matter is important to me. Mere appearance is not enough.

It's part of the mystery and majesty of the original (and only true) photographic process that there is a direct physical path traceable from real world subject matter to a real photograph made out of light sensitive materials. I know it is possible in a digital environment to confect plausible looking pictures of a plausible looking world but such fictions don't afford the horripilation of the real thing.

I will not buy a picture touched in any way by digital technology and frankly I not interested in looking at one either. Yes, do celebrate the wonderful qualities of a real photograph by declaring it has no digital taint. And yes, it's good to be in APUG.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin