Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,865   Online: 942

Shooter
    Large Format

Cyanotype Question/Problem

The cyanotypes I have been making latly seem to take much longer to expose (two to three times) than they did when I started about eight years ago. Does the dry chemical break down after a few years and not work as well?

Also, what can I do to decrease or increase the contrast?, use more or less of one of the two chemicals?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ammonium Iron Citrate does go off. It seems some microbes find it tasty - it must contain enough trace impurities to sustain life.

You might want to try the "New Cyanotype" - it uses Ammonium Iron Oxalate - and is reputed to be more stable. It is, however, a bit of a PITA to make when compared to plain-ole-cyanotype. Contrast can be increased with P. Dichromate.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin klein View Post
    The cyanotypes I have been making latly seem to take much longer to expose (two to three times) than they did when I started about eight years ago. Does the dry chemical break down after a few years and not work as well?
    Global warming.

Also, what can I do to decrease or increase the contrast?, use more or less of one of the two chemicals?
    Here ya go:

Different ratios of parts A & B on two different varieties of Crane's Kid Finish paper using the traditional cyanotype chemicals (ferric ammonium citrate and potassium ferricyanide). I don't recall which iron salt is 8% and which is 20% solution, but at 1A+1B it is the normal recipe. The strips are arranged 2A+1B, 1A + 1B, 1A + 2B, and then 1A + 1B again (labelled "citric").

It has been a long time since I tested this, so forgive any memory gaps. It looks like this test was done with a NuArc exposure unit at 1120 units for all! Citric acid speeds it up but it bleeds. (Can't remember if this was a pretreatment, addition, or all rinses using 2% citric acid solution but I suspect the latter.) The faint penciled arrows indicate the step to which the exposure solarized before processing. Though I'm not completely sure, I would suspect these were all coated and dried, then exposed and processed together 'cause that's how I roll.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you. That helps alot.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin