Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,023   Online: 807

Shooter
    Medium Format

Getting hold of X-Ray film

I'd like to get hold of some x-ray film for my cyanotypes and I remember my tutor telling me it was both easy to get hold of and relatively cheap but I'm finding that not to be the case. All i can find within my budget is from America. Does anyone know anywhere in the UK where i can find it at preferably less that £100?

Alternatively, if anyone can give me some info on making cyanotypes from my 6x7 negs that doesn't include either scanning and printing digitally or using x-ray film it would be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not just make cyanotypes directly from your negatives?

As for X-ray film; I got a bunch for very cheap on eBay. You might even have luck with a few well placed calls to local dentists office, medical supply or doctors offices. It's worth a shot; they might have a freezer full of old films in the back!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    holmburgers; if i did that how would i go about enlarging them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, well I didn't know you wanted them bigger than that... sorry!

People do use paper negatives sometimes, but your exposures will be super long, and not to mention, you still need to get a negative on paper which will require some kind of extra step anyways.

I think what you want (ideally) is x-ray duplicating film, which will make a neg from a neg, pos from a pos.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I wonder if Ilford has given any thought to coating the emulsion used in their direct positive paper on to film. Seems like it would fill a niche left unfulfilled by the current selection of products. I know I'd buy it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been searching for a suppler of xray film in the UK and have come up with these guys... www.veterinaryxrays.co.uk

Or more specifically...

http://www.veterinaryxrays.co.uk/xra...emistry/film-0

They don't have an online store, but if you contact them via email they'll get back to you with prices / ordering info. When I last looked into this they were offering 100 sheet boxes of 18x24cm for £47.50 (ex VAT, I think...), although that was back in April, so their prices may have changed.

Hope that helps!
    Tom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    find kodak or fuji direct duplicating xray to make enlargements...works quite well. you cans search here for info on exposure and dev
    best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin