Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,369   Online: 1191

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxleyroad View Post
    Yes it has been interesting, and I could go on about how you can influence the magnetic characteristics of stainless steel, but it has absolutely nothing to do with making prints.
    Why should it be about making prints?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    So are we saying ferric ammonium oxalate has no magnetic properties?
    I have a suggestion.

Go out and buy the biggest and strongest magnet you can and then try to drag some Ferric or Ferrous salt out of solution with it. If you do, then patent it and write it up for your Nobel Prize.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curses. I was expecting something novel from this thread.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the heck with a rare earth or electro magnet
    throw an electric charge through the cyanotype
    while you print it and its subject and see if you can get a cyanokirilian print
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about a strong, alternating magnetic field such as that which might be generated by a rotating drum with magnets fixed to its surface in alternate N-S-N-S fashion?

You can use this technique to REPEL copper, aluminum and other non-ferromagnetic metals. It's the eddy currents which cause the repulsion.
    This is how trash recycling machines separate ferromagnetic metals, non-ferromagnetic metals and paper/plastic/trash. First, they use a magnet to suck up the steel and iron. Then they use a rotating drum magnet to repel the copper, aluminum, etc. into a chute.

Would this technique work in our case?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Not even a little bit and even with salt, pepper, oregano and basil! NOT MAGNETIC!

PE

But if you add some imported Parmesan Cheese, viola! It sticks to a magnet!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NO Tk. I tried it with a vintage Parmegiano Reggiano and it did not work! Sorry.

I am working on a Molle to see if it will work!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is important not to confuse atoms with ions. Their magnetic properties are very different.

There are three types of magnetic susceptability; paramagnetism, diamagnetism, and ferromagnetism. The first two are extremely small and need special equipment to be measured. Most materials exhibit either paramagnetism or diamagnetism. A very few substances like iron exhibit ferromagnetism.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-14-2012 at 12:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Not even a little bit and even with salt, pepper, oregano and basil! NOT MAGNETIC!

Some Stainless Steel is non-magnetic as well and it is basically iron!

PE
    Nickel is magnetic, and nickel isn't iron.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can light or radiation have an effect on ferromagnetism, to a degree that it could be utilized in some fashion to make an image? I'm kind of thinking along the lines of Xerox; where a charged plate of selenium loses that charge with light exposure. Any kind of similar phenomenon we can exploit with magnetism?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin