Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,864   Online: 886

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dick Arentz

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Dick Arentz

I've just noticed that Dick Arentz has his new book on Platinum Printing listed on his revamped web site. Has anyone ordered this book yet. It looks very interesting.

http://www.dickarentz.com/

Don BRyant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not yet, but it's going on my Christmas list
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Mr. Arentz is a class act.

I had the distinct pleasure of spending a couple of days with him when I was invited to demonstrate a method I developed for hand coating fixed-out baryta (fibre based) paper at a workshop in Scotsdale a few years back. The workshop was a lot of fun but the best part of the whole trip was seeing his 12 x20 prints with my own eyes. It was truly a revelation.

I have a number of his books. They are all terrific. I am sure this latest tome will be great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone have a copy of the new book yet? I was in Border's today and they think it hasn't been published yet.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I strongly suggest you purchase the book directly from Dick. It turns out that many of these small production books are not very profitable, and I have heard from at least one artist that they actually loose money selling through Amazon due to their negotiated prices.

If you email Dick, he will sign the book, and get it to you quickly (once they are available). It'll probably be about the same price that you can get it through the chains, but the profit will be going where it belongs; to the author/photographer.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Michael for an excellent suggestion. My friend Jason Osipa's animation book STOP STARING experienced a similar fate at the hands of Amazon... a terrific book and a must-have within its genre, yet not particularly a money-maker. Get the money to the person who needs it for this wonderful book they have made. I'm quite keen on this one.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    I strongly suggest you purchase the book directly from Dick. It turns out that many of these small production books are not very profitable, and I have heard from at least one artist that they actually loose money selling through Amazon due to their negotiated prices.

If you email Dick, he will sign the book, and get it to you quickly (once they are available). It'll probably be about the same price that you can get it through the chains, but the profit will be going where it belongs; to the author/photographer.

---Michael
    I ordered my copy directly from Dick last week. According to his daughter in-law, Dick is still in Turkey so I assume I'll receive it after the first of the year.

I'm particularly interested in reading Stan Klimek's section on custom printing but I'm sure everyones contribution in this revision will be worth waiting for.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Dick is back home from Turkey now. He wrote me that he was expecting the books shortly after Xmas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Peguet
    Dick is back home from Turkey now. He wrote me that he was expecting the books shortly after Xmas.
    WooHoo! An answer!

Thanks Jimmy!

Dean

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My understanding is that this edition will have some chapters written by guest experts in addition to Dick’s wonderful knowledge. An example will be a chapter on digitally enlarging negatives for contact printing written by Bob Herbst. www.bobherbst.com

Bob teaches an excellent platinum printing course that I took last August. Dick’s first edition was suggested reading for that course. Bob also teaches a course on digitally enlarging negatives at the local community college. I bought a larger camera, 8x10 up from 4x5. Bob shoots a 12x20.

John Powers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin