Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,293   Posts: 1,535,467   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Finished with Rockland

I have done everything possible with the Rockland tintype and it just is no good, it sucks. The old stuff worked much better, I was told by one of the employees that the old developer had formalin (fermaldihyde) and it was taken out due to health concernes. The new stuff has no staying power, I used a batch that that I mixed up a few months ago and it worked fine for the first plate but all the rest of the plates had a flat dull contrast. I guess it will have to be collodion from now on.

I'm done with it!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Been there, done that.

Still think you can do it with collodion dry plates! After a forced break for medical fun and games will be back playing with dry plates and intend to try some tin types. Did have a few dry plates with both Tanner and Gun Arabic on glass that ended up fairly good ambros, so I think it can be done. Will give it a try the next month or so!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I messed around with Rockland AG Plus for ages trying dry tintypes, and I seriously never get a decent plate from it.
    I went into it thinking it would alleviate me from the Wet Plate set-up, but now shooting Wet Plate full time, looking back in hindsight, Rockland's actually more time consuming and less consistent than Wet Plate!

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kevin since it seems that formalin is missing in the new formula, why don't you add some kind of hardener to the developer yourself. Rollei did market a hardening additive for use in the developer.

Dominik

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dom

Is the formalin use as a hardener? What ever there was in the old developer, it was more consistant at getting good plates and with a fair latitude of exposure.

I wonder how the original dry tin formulas got lost, it did'nt seem to take very long to come up with them as soon as gelatin emulsions came around. Could there have been something used in the emulsion to make them work, such as a developer or a reversal material?

I'll bet someone in the Eastman establishment knows, but he aint talkin'.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kevin- head on over to The Light Farm, run by Denise Ross (she's an occasional poster here) - http://www.thelightfarm.com/ It's all about dry plate silver gelatin. Denise is terrific and has done a ton of work on making dry plates and hand-coated silver gelatin paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Formalin has seen some use in developers to increase contrast. It can also harden gelatin but not collodion or most oher polymers.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yup, been there before, she has an excelent site for the gelatin enthusiast. She has some of my gelatin work shown there.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kevin it seems that I have misread your post, I thought that you had problems with the Rockland emulsion. If you have a problem with the contrast of your tintype just use Dektol. Since it works with your own emulsion formula it should work with the tintype. BTW thank you for making your emulsion formula available to the public.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    kevin,

are you having trouble with you own developer and their emulsion.
    from others i have spoken with who home-brewed their own developer using
    thiocyanate and thisulphate always had trouble ... but when they just used
    the developer supplied by rockland they had no trouble at all.

when the weather gets cooler i'll be making rockland dry tintypes again
    i did it a little in the spring and it was fun ...
    i would love to do dry collodion plates, but i keep having dreams where things
    go b-o-o-m ( i used to use collodion in the 80s + 90s ) ...

good luck
    jlhn
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin