Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,355   Online: 781

Shooter
    Medium Format

Is it possible just to replace collodion with gelatine for tintype?

I'm about to dive into wet-plate (tintype) and wondered if it is possible to replace the collodion with gelatin and get sort of dry plate?
    [Maybe a little chrome alum to harden the gelatin will be needed]

Am I missing anything? From early photography literature, gelatin emulsions seems to be faster than collodion and the only "drawback" is that gelatin is not as glossy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From casual exposure to the process, I thought the coliodion was 'sticky', in a way that gelatin is not at room temperature.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think the stickiness is what makes the process work (collodion does have to remain somewhat wet to make the process work).

The chemical reaction is as follows: The salts in the collodion form into silver halide sesitive to light when they come into contact with silver nitrate. After plate exposure it is normal dev/fix processes.

By replacing collodion with gelatin one can sensitize a gelatin+salts plate in the same way and use it whenever he likes without the rush before everything dries up. I think that some addition of chrome alum might be needed to make sure none of the gelatin melts during the process when submerged in any solution.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Check out www.thelightfarm.com, for example Chris Pattons' recipe here: http://thelightfarm.com/Map/DryPlate...yPlatePart.htm

This is about as simple as you can get it. Also, hang out a bit in http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/ - the more people, the merrier!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Check out www.thelightfarm.com, for example Chris Pattons' recipe here: http://thelightfarm.com/Map/DryPlate...yPlatePart.htm

This is about as simple as you can get it. Also, hang out a bit in http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/ - the more people, the merrier!
    Actualy, that is a rather complicated and time consuming process. I have made simple good working emulsion in one day, from mixing to coating plates.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I usually recommend your article Kevin, but I can't repeat myself all over all the time I thought, so I took another one of the recipes from The Farm this time.

And I guess you could just speed up Chris' recipe by washing the emulsion instead of letting it sit overnight, etc. I guess anything is possible, just pick one that suits your style of working and go for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kevin, your method seems very simple indeed. Why don't you add any gelatin hardener in the mix (glyoxal/chrome alum/...)?

Also, you write that a thicker emulsion yields better results - do you use some sort of frame when you coat or just let the gelatin flow and cover the plate like collodion?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I leave out the hardener so the plates can be cleaned off with warm water, if the plate is a good one I can harden it before drying.

To me, the thicker emulsion provides a better density because there is more thickness to the image. The other emulsion I used was very thin and did not give negatives to be printed out. I just pour the plate like collodion, drain, and set on a leveling table.

The last time I made an emulsion I did not use any hypo sensitiser and it worked fine, so I think that step can be eliminated.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Leaving out the hypo just makes the emulsion slower as far as I understand it, nothing else happens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin