Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,007   Online: 852
      
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Socorro update.

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530

    Socorro update.

    I ran out of Oxalic Acid to pre treat socorro, so I figure I would try using hydrochloric acid to pre treat it. I used 80 ml in 2000 ml of water and the results were undistinguishable from using oxalic acid, so if anybody is thinking of using Socorro for pt/pd, it seems all that it needs is an acidification step.

  2. #2
    rbarker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,222
    Images
    2
    Please mark your calendar to report back again in twenty years, Jorge. We'd certainly not want to make any premature judgements.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

    Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

  3. #3
    Mateo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hollister, Ca
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    494
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Please mark your calendar to report back again in twenty years, Jorge. We'd certainly not want to make any premature judgements.

    Funny thing is that a century ago HCl was the norm for clearing Pt. I wouldn't worry about an HCl presoak considering the alkaline clearing that I'd bet Jorge uses.


    Jorge, I've never tried Socorro paper. What's the surface like after having a presoak? With the exception of Fabriano, I haven't liked any of the papers that needed acidification because it kind of raise the tooth a bit.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Funny thing is that a century ago HCl was the norm for clearing Pt. I wouldn't worry about an HCl presoak considering the alkaline clearing that I'd bet Jorge uses.


    Jorge, I've never tried Socorro paper. What's the surface like after having a presoak? With the exception of Fabriano, I haven't liked any of the papers that needed acidification because it kind of raise the tooth a bit.
    The surface is still very smooth after the presoak, I then straighten it out on a hot press and it comes out just like new. Considering that the presoak is only 1 minute, you dont have it in the solution long enough to swell the paper too much.

    Oh, another thing, I was having a lot of trouble clearing a few days back and just for kicks I added a couple of pellets of Sodium Hydroxide, it cleared right up. So this might work in those days the paper just refuses to clear.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Please mark your calendar to report back again in twenty years, Jorge. We'd certainly not want to make any premature judgements.
    Dont need 20 years to know what works for printing... :rolleyes:

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    France
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    63
    I can't write about Socorro impossible to find here, but I made some trials with Van Gelder Simili Japon, which is said to be the same paper without watermarks : the paper is smooth after a presoaking in oxalic acid (when printed and dried, it's also the smoother paper I've ever used, pure vellum, almost like silk). I don't know if they are really the same papers, Simili Japon produces wonderful delicate and "golded" brown tones in pure pd.

  7. #7
    Kerik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    California
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,465
    Images
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Peguet
    I can't write about Socorro impossible to find here, but I made some trials with Van Gelder Simili Japon, which is said to be the same paper without watermarks : the paper is smooth after a presoaking in oxalic acid (when printed and dried, it's also the smoother paper I've ever used, pure vellum, almost like silk). I don't know if they are really the same papers, Simili Japon produces wonderful delicate and "golded" brown tones in pure pd.
    They are the same paper. Socorro also produces the golden brown tones. Socorro is Bostick and Sullivan's name for this paper. At the request of several of us using SJ several years ago, B&S arranged to have a batch run w/o the watermarks. I believe they are still selling from that same batch...

    Kerik



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin