Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,785   Online: 889

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Acros and pyrocat for platinum

who here is using the above combo for platinum..I have bunch of 120 negatives I would like to develop for for platinum so I need some starting times...preferably 2:2:100
    thanx, Peter!!
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Peter- you may want to give Sandy King a call, this is his specialty combination of film and developer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    who here is using the above combo for platinum..I have bunch of 120 negatives I would like to develop for for platinum so I need some starting times...preferably 2:2:100
    thanx, Peter!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sandy is definitely the master at this, but let me try to get you started:

First, slightly overexpose the film (iso 64 and 50 work). I've found with Pyrocat the extra stop helps a little on shadow and midtone values.

Next, mix up some 1:1:100 at 68 degrees. Soak your film for 3-4 minutes, pour out the dye, do it again, pour out the dye, should be all cleared now.

For a soft image (very low contrast of a few stops from my highest value to lowest) I could start out as low as 8 min, but for average scenes find 13 minutes to be ideal. If the scene is super high contrast, you can develop as long as 20 minutes with solid results. This will heavily stain the highlights and create a flatter neg needed for PT/PD printing. I do 45 seconds of agitation followed by 15 second inversions at every 1/4 of the time (every 5 minutes for 20 and 3 for 12, etc).

This should at least get you in the ballpark.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peter, see the second graph at this page. For a scene with a normal SBR you may start with 2:2:100 dilution, 10-11 minutes at 73F / 23C, with constant agitation - if your sensitizer is palladium-heavy...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin