Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,998   Online: 1000

Shooter
    8x10 Format

The Palladio Company

Does anyone know of new development concerning The Palladio Company? Similiar product elsewhere perhaps?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    The Palladio Company which had been started by Rob and Sura Steinberg, has been out of business for several years now. They made pre-coated palladium/platinum papers and from what I understand there were technical issues with the process but mainly, the "critical mass" just wasn't there to make this a viable business venture. I had tried the paper but most (if not all) platinum/palladium printers would much rather make their own paper. The revival of this, or the creation of another similar enterprise, is therefore very unlikely. Making one's own pt/pd paper is a procedure that is very well documented and not that difficult to undertake.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The main issue was paper supply. They had developed a really thin, high wet strength paper that took the coating well. Their supplier was bought out and the new owner didn't want to make a specialty paper. They were unsuccessful in finding another mill that could make the paper they specified.

The paper was more expensive than what you could do yourself, but I never had a bad sheet.

When I think about the combination of Palladio paper an digital negatives.... Wow. Two products that were absolutely made for each other, but we'll never see that combination. Too bad.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think it was a terrible loss...

I started using the product in Toronto in the 90s and loved it. As Joe mentioned, I never got a bad sheet either. The prints were just wonderful, contrast was easy to control, had gorgeous tone and smoothness...

In fact, while it's a hard pill to swallow, I've yet to get prints handcoated myself that were as smooth as what Palladio offered out of the box.

I remember calling and calling trying to get product... "We're working on a new paper..." This went on and on and on... And then gone.

While I can understand that some people want to handcoat... If the product was available today, they'd have one customer back in a heartbeat.

joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    I started platinum/palladium printing with Palladio paper and only started handcoating after Sura suggested I learn because of the problem they were having with quality control at the paper mill. While using Palladio paper when on rare occasions I got a bad batch Sura would take care of the problem right away. Part way thru printing a limited portfolio of 5x7 prints I had to order more paper and the new batch did not match the older batch, Sura sent enough paper to print the whole portfolio at no charge.
    The major problem they were having with the mill is black specks in the paper that showed up only after processing. On other papers with black specks they could cull the sheets before shipping but the new paper wouldn't allow this. It was a shame because they produced a first class product with great service.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Make that two customers!!! Perhaps J & C might take this on as a project.
    Francesco

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin