Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,064   Online: 898

Thread: Fotolinen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fotolinen

Hi there,

I bought a pack of 10x8 sheets of Fotospeed's Fotolinen some weeks back and hope to try it out over the holidays. Any advise from those of you who have used this material would be very appreciated. Is there anything I should avoid or try out?

I will be using standard Agfa Multi Contast developer, is this ok?

Unfortunatly I have been told that Fotolnen is no longer being made. Is there any other products similar to Fotolinen?

Thanks,
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There's photo linen distributed by Maco. Try fotoimpex.de. It's called "Structura Lux."
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    Hi there,

I bought a pack of 10x8 sheets of Fotospeed's Fotolinen some weeks back and hope to try it out over the holidays. Any advise from those of you who have used this material would be very appreciated. Is there anything I should avoid or try out?

I will be using standard Agfa Multi Contast developer, is this ok?

Unfortunatly I have been told that Fotolnen is no longer being made. Is there any other products similar to Fotolinen?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Process in the same way as normal photographic paper and be sure to keep it flat in the developer as it tends to have a severe curl when wet. When I last used Photolinen it produced a very nice warm tone using Ilford Multigrade developer. Photolinen is about grade 2.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There's also Luminos. It use to come in two different textures.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks David, Les & Garry.

Les, I read your "Creative B&W Photography" book last year and found it very helpfull.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used Luminos photo linen. Other than what's already been said, I'll add that you should keep a very open mind when viewing your results. They sort of have to grow on you. I like it best with images that don't rely on extreme detail and sharpness to be successful; linen adds a certain mood, but certainly doesn't promote sharpness, so you have to choose the subject and image rather carefully.

- CJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Cheryl.

I read that developement time is between 3 & 4 minutes but the leaflet in the box said 1 minute. Any views on this from anyone?

Peter

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have used these type of finishes for some time and found that regardless of the manufacturer, it is essential to experiment to get the best results.

Also I have found that there is a marked loss of detail of the final image in all brands.

However, with a sympathetic subject the final results can be well worth the effort.
    'Determine on some course more than a wild exposure to each chance' The Bard.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for your help Stan. I am looking forward to trying it out soon.

Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin