Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,669   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Calotype question

I was taking a look at information about the calotype process, and a question hit me: why was silver iodide used instead of silver bromide? Wouldn't using the bromide result in a faster, more develop-able result?

Then again, I very well may be missing something huge here.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both were used, the original formula is iodide only and a wet process. The advantages of bromides were discovered for the daguerreotype first and later transferred to the calotype process. see Greenlaw process. http://www.notesonphotographs.org/im...ts_for_web.pdf

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Man, i can always count on APUG to come through!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, my calotype supplies have arrived! Lets see how this goes!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Check out the Calotype Society on Flickr if you haven't already. A lot of good tips and beautiful 'types.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't taken too much of a look at their tips and discussion, but the photographs are unbelievable.

It's hard to believe that some of those photographs are taken on paper! The sharpness and clarity is really pretty good.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Htmlguru4242 have you read Ellie Youngs Master Thesis:"Mechanisms of controlling colour and aesthetic appearance of the photographic salt print", it's available online and is very interesting http://researchbank.rmit.edu.au/view/rmit:7850

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think the Society is becoming a very good repository of variants and ways to do things - some of the people seems to be well read and dedicated.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reading through these, and other internet sources, I'm surprised that some of those processes never achieved more widespread use.

Some of the guys seem to have goof luck with iron development, which is attractive given the developer's low cost

This will be fun.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you really want to understand the Calotype process, may I suggest you spend at least a year experimenting with this process.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin