Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,833   Online: 1157

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for options...masking

I would to create printing masks so I can print oval images and rounded top images(if there's a better name please correct me). I have heard the use of 'rubylith' might work but maybe I misheard the name.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Horseman L45 || Rolleicord VB || Mamiya RB67

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew001 View Post
    I would to create printing masks so I can print oval images and rounded top images(if there's a better name please correct me). I have heard the use of 'rubylith' might work but maybe I misheard the name.
    Why not just cut a hole in a sheet of opaque card.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i am looking for a perfect cut - I don't think I can get the accuracy I would like.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why don't you practice until you can?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A premade oval mat from a frame shop.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Go to a frame shop that has an auto cutter with black card and ask them to cut you the oval into the card.

QUOTE=matthew001;1399294]i am looking for a perfect cut - I don't think I can get the accuracy I would like.[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Imagine Rubylith is a Jello-like material on clear film base. You cut the softer red mask material with a sharp knife without going through the base. Then you peel off the ruby oval, leaving the oval mask with clear film in the middle.

I don't think you would want to enlarge through this (the film base would degrade image quality), but if you were making contact prints, you could create a sandwich with the Rubylith mask on top of the negative.

Something new that might be applied to the task: You could use a Cricut machine to cut through and make a perfect shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your suggestions - I hadn't thought of going to a frame shop. I don't know where there is one around here. I'll look. Bill, I was looking into Rubylith but wasn't sure this was the right material to use for masking.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin