Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,036   Online: 933

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Building a UV box question

Hi All,
    I know this has been covered in various iterations on this forum but please bear with me. I was able to acquire the plans for a UV box from Edwards Engineered Products. Looking at the parts list I looked up the listed supplier Grainger, and with the prices they are quoting(Lamps, ballasts) it looks like it might be easier and more cost effective to just buy the build it yourself kit from edwards. My question is, does anyone have a resource they have used for these essential items that are perhaps much cheaper? I certainly want to shop around before getting all the parts together. Any information or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given the cost of the smallest Edwards kit, you may want to contact Freestyle. There were a couple of sweet looking UV boxes for sale starting around $600, when I was in there a couple of weeks ago.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not certain the trade off between the different UV light sources, but to keep my start into alternative processes within a reasonable budget, I got a NuArc plate burner locally for $100. This included a 20x24 vacuum easel built-in.

It is about 30 years old, but industrial quality and at that vintage does not have any obvious electronics that might be impossible to replace "in-kind". Big and bulky, but cheap...

One of the outcomes of the pre-press business moving to digital.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Given the cost of the smallest Edwards kit, you may want to contact Freestyle. There were a couple of sweet looking UV boxes for sale starting around $600, when I was in there a couple of weeks ago.
    As I add up the costs it is beginning to look like a pre made might just be easier in the long run with a minimal amount more than if i built myself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Not certain the trade off between the different UV light sources, but to keep my start into alternative processes within a reasonable budget, I got a NuArc plate burner locally for $100. This included a 20x24 vacuum easel built-in.

It is about 30 years old, but industrial quality and at that vintage does not have any obvious electronics that might be impossible to replace "in-kind". Big and bulky, but cheap...

One of the outcomes of the pre-press business moving to digital.
    I agree, but I have been watching craigs list for about a month for something like that(San Diego) and only one has come up and it was huge.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have also found Pot grow lamps for like $160 that would be fast and inexpensive for alternative processes. You may have missed the boat on the exodus, but I got my plate burner from a printing supply house that was just dumping the UV sources from their many customers.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by padraigm View Post
    I agree, but I have been watching craigs list for about a month for something like that(San Diego) and only one has come up and it was huge.
    Mine came from a print shop that was moving and had not used it in some time.

But huge, yeah...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm in the process of building a simple bank of BL bulbs. I'm keeping the construction really simple, just laying everything out on a 24x24 wood panel. On each of the four corners of the panel I'm attaching simple legs made up of cut pieces of wood. Then I just turn the whole thing over and let it rest on the floor and cover it with black plastic. Who needs a box anyway?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I'm in the process of building a simple bank of BL bulbs. I'm keeping the construction really simple, just laying everything out on a 24x24 wood panel. On each of the four corners of the panel I'm attaching simple legs made up of cut pieces of wood. Then I just turn the whole thing over and let it rest on the floor and cover it with black plastic. Who needs a box anyway?
    True that would be sufficient. But If i am going to the bother I want it to be a little more complete.

Shooter
    35mm
    I found my NuArc at a university surplus. $75. Integrator and vacuum easel. They are around, if you hunt long enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin