Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,580   Online: 1213

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gum print, arabic gum question

Hi,
    I used to buy my gum arabic in small bottle of 60 ml, this is obviously a too small amount if you are printing much, and it's also very expensive for this quantity.

few questions:

-is the E 414 arabic gum powder (for fooding) is apropriate for gum print?

-Is it possible to buy in bigger quantity this kind of ready-to-use solution on a reasonable price ? i saw that :
    http://www.gerstaecker.at/shop/unser-an ... 3021a#tabs
    but it says is for protection in terms of storage of plates,1:1 dilution, did someone tried this?

btw i am in Europa,
    Thank you for sharing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is possible to buy gum in the powder form. It is not too difficult to make the syrup from that. Much less expensive. I have made it many times that way. Gum solution used in the graphic arts is often less pure.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I buy the powder too, but my supplier is in the US. There must be a source closer to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think gum Arabic is used in food. So you might find it at a food vendor for cheaper. I think it's used as a thickening agent or candy.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I know gum has different qualities (grades) but I didn't think that the stuff from arts supply was inferior. Well, you learn something every day.

Here is a link to some interesting (but not neccessarily related to artistic use of the gum) information: http://www.fao.org/docrep/w3735e/w3735e22.htm

I don't know where you are located in the Union, but here is one supplier: http://www.kremer-pigmente.com/en/index.html
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Food grade powdered gum is the best; it's very pure / free of contamination (dirt, dust and other alien material / compounds), therefore it gives a very clean / clear gum solution - this is what I use myself...

Regards,
    Loris.

Thank you for the answers,

Powder looks like a cheap and good solution, i just didn't want to bother with conservators, I read everywhere that self made gum solution with powder will not last on shelf if you don't add some chemicals in it, so i was thinking it was nice to think to get some ready made solution.

I am glad to hear that I could use that food gum powder, This would be OK ? here it's called "E 414" : (sorry german):

http://www.amazon.de/Arabisches-Gumm...4706052&sr=8-3

where do you get the additives ? if i am correct : Thymol and isopropyl alcohol, I am in Austria, and it's quite hard to find that stuff if you don't know where to search...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi again,

I preserve my gum solutions with sodium benzoate; I have 3 years old stock that looks like it was mixed yesterday. I use 1g sodium benzoate per 100g of dry powdered gum, which probably is overkill. I'm sure the gum solution would still keep well even if sodium benzoate is cut to 1:5...

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    google for saban suvatlar in hamburg.i'm sure he ships to austria
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Thanks very much for the good tips,
    I found some Arabic gum in a local store, sodium benzoate is much easier to find and cheap ! it's on the way.
    Strange than they are both used for food...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin