Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,315   Online: 955

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've mostly used Stonehenge and Lanaquarelle hot press lately. I don't know your paper. The most important factor is the pH of the paper. If it starts to turn blue while it is drying, it is way too alkaline. If you get muddy unsatisfying results, the paper is a possible culprit. Some folks do an acid presoak before using. I use vinegar in my wash water, because my well water is alkaline.

Have you seen the site Alternative Photography? There are articles there that I found quite useful when I got started with alt printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah ok, I will see if this cold pressed paper is ok then, I have checked out the site for the formula needed for the solution, the paper is also PH neutral, I will coat a piece and see if it changes, if not its good, if it does then I will think about an acid presoak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hang the paper by a corner from a clothesline in the darkroom. Unsatisfactory. The paper curls a lot. The art paper I use for alternative processes is a lot lighter than regular photo paper. Using a hair dryer seems to help, as does proper sizing.

To dry paper sensitized for kallitype printing, I use a hair dryer set at cool. Dried in about a few minutes. I mainly used Rising Stonehenge. I always give the paper an acid pre-soak. Really kicks up the Dmax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm perhaps I should use a flat plate or some sort and rubber band it down to it to stop it curling, I will do a test with the first one without holding it down and see if my paper curls much - I guess I could simply flatten it under a book or something once its dry though?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy cheap paper, and gelatine size it with a glass coating rod, one side, hang, then size the back side too once the front is dry. Done as a big unglamorous session when I am feeling uninspired by want to preop for some future alt process work. Usually once every few years. I have never had a problem with the sized paper goping mungy in my cool dry basement darkroom, stored in an old paper box.

The when you sensitise the paper stays flat, and is ready to go.

I coat with either traditional or Ware, using a coating rod,and also cormer hang them using modified 'reversed' wooden clothes pegs hung from a line by openned up paper clips though the centre of the srping, so all the papers hang to take up less space on my drying line.

I find they are ready to go in under an hour if I leave the general self contianed air filtration unit I use for sucking random lint and dust up prior to printing running while they dry, and keep the coated pages at least 2" apart on the line.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin