Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,108   Online: 1232

Shooter
    35mm

pure black in ziatype

Hello!

I printed out some Ziatype tests on Arches Pt and found out that black looks as darkly gray even at a over exposition
    Arches was pre-treatmented in slightly acidic (oxalic) water
    I tried to print on both parties of paper
    I tried to develop in tap, citric and oxalic water

I already printed much kallitypes and always received the rich and saturated "brown-black" blacks

council is very necessary
    thx

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm trying to find my recipe book and resultant prints so I can get you closer (it's here somewhere but temporarily lost) meanwhile I can say that what you will need to do is some test strips but don't use a negative. Remember also that part of the solution is longer exposure times, so mix the minimum needed chemicals and leave the test strip in the sun, not under a lamp. Use Ammonium Dichromate, Ammonium Ferric Oxalate and Palladium, nothing else. I can say that 1 drop 5% gold chloride solution get's you into cool blue-blacks. From what I remember, for a 4x5 test print start at 1 drop 5% GC. I wound up diluting the 5% down.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok here's a print showing a black border. It looks actually on my monitor like the print, but your results may vary. It is absolutely solid black on the left side. The recipe, for a 4x5 was 3 drops AFO, 3 drops Palladium and 1 drop AD reduced to 50%. This is a sun print as all my prints were.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ziatype Test Print165a.jpg  
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    oh, very thx!
    I can see a clear negative field reduces % of pure black?
    have you tried to print without ammonium dichromate?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    According to my notes I printed at least one picture (shown) without AD. The Solution was 3 drops AFO, 2 LP, 1 Gold 5% and 1 drop water. The border outside the picture was not quite full on black but close. The paper is a little wavy so look at the dark sections. Of course it all really depends on getting a black in the photo if that's what is represented. In this case there are no full on blacks, just shadows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ziatype Test Print 167a.jpg  
    W.A. Crider

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin