Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,234   Online: 833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

cyanotypes in elementary school

i was invited again to be a guest by our local grammar school's art teacher.
    2 years ago it was a 5th grade
    ... today i worked with 20 or so 4th graders
    ... they made cyanotype photograms.

and in 2 weeks i'll be doing this with a 2nd grade class as well.

when they saw the images turn blue, it blew their minds.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a wonderful experience for those kids!

Shooter
    Multi Format

cyanotypes in elementary school

I did this over the summer with my classes, it's very fun indeed! We first did a scavenger hunt for items to print, and then took turns using a few sheets of plexiglas to expose them in the park. We also made book markers too by first trimming the paper into strips then exposing/wash/dry and mounted then on strips of mat board.

I recommend to buy the sun print kits and self coating is messy and can stain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome, John. I actually tried some sun printing photograms with my 3 year old nephew this past summer and he was really digging it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    How fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i was invited again to be a guest by our local grammar school's art teacher.
    2 years ago it was a 5th grade
    ... today i worked with 20 or so 4th graders
    ... they made cyanotype photograms.

and in 2 weeks i'll be doing this with a 2nd grade class as well.

when they saw the images turn blue, it blew their minds.
    This is like how I was introduced to photography, and both my son and daughter. In my case my father used an old soup bowls for the developer, another for the fixer, a bucket of water and a contact printer set out on the garage floor. When I saw the picture appear on the paper in developer I thought dad was magic. Then he showed me how easy it was to do myself. I was in kindergarten 1973. I still remember it vividly.

I have done the cyanatype sun kits with my kids when they were about 4 and the look on their face was priceless. The remainder of the kit does not last long once the first print is done. They are now 7 and 5 years old asking to make pictures in the dark room rather than watch TV. A nice problem to have.

I feel the key is to show the young children these processes in a fun way, and they will never forget the moment.
    Last edited by Oxleyroad; 12-15-2012 at 02:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeah, its fun

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I don't recall the details but a good friend did something similar with his daughter's elementary school class. He brought in a banner sized piece of canvas. It was coated and the children were asked to bring in items and they did a large photogram outside (which also included themselves). The banner was then hung permanently in the school.
    My kids are now of school age, so I hope to do something like this. It would be to inspire them with the magic of "old school" photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How fun! I have to remember to do that with my boyfriend's kids, they would love it!
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin