Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,038   Online: 872

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Potassium Dichromate christals

I have done a solution of 13% potassium dichromate, and for unknown reason after 2 weeks some christal developed in the bottle, then i have to dissolve them again making the solution warm.
    Quite annoying, I am not even at saturation point and it's stored in the dark.
    do you know what is happening and how to prevent it ?
    could it be the bottle material? mine is a plastic one, for chemicals (made of PET i suppose)
    thank you !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Edwoo, you can determine what grade bottle you have by examining the bottom (most likely place most of the time) for the triangle symbol with a number inside it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

As far as your crystal problem I'll let one of the chemists help you out in that dept.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The solubility of potassium dichromate is not constant but depends on temperature, a 6.5% solution is stable at 10oC (50oF). So if the room temperature gets too cold then some of your 13% solution will crystallize out.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-05-2013 at 02:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't think of the crystallisation caused by the bottle.

(I once looked up some lists on the stability of PET as a fellow member reported a leaking PET-bottle and I learned that it is somewhat resistant against weak alcali but non-resistant against strong alcali!
    These lists are often not very practible, but what I learned make me think that PET should not be used in the darkroom.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Solubility of Potassium Dichromate is 12.3% @ 20C, from here.

So you are, in fact, right at or above the saturation point. It has nothing to do with the bottle you're storing it in, IMO. This is un-advisable, since you can never be sure what your concentration is, unless every use you make sure to warm it to dissolve all crystals.

If you need a stable solution of that concentration, I'd recommend ammonium dichromate, if your process is compatible with it. (e.g. carbon is OK, but I've never done gum, so I don't know.) It's solubility limit is 35.6% @ 20C.

--Greg

Thanks for the replys !
    My bottle is a class 2- iso 3164, high density polyethylene (HDPE), then I don't really think that could be the problem, i bought that bottles in a Chemical supply store, looking good for any chemicals, even strong acids i believe.
    For the temp, that's interesting because the last 2 weeks it was store at 16° Celsius, but it hapened also at 19° as well, but probably slowly.
    Thanks Gerald, that must be a temperature issue, for now i will keep dissolving crystals when they appear and prepare only small quantities of solution.

other thing : the quantity of crystals is quite large, way more of what could be up the saturation threshold (if that is clear ^^), it looks like the Potassium dichromate in the solution would all go back to crystals, that is strange, I never read that anywhere.

to gmikol : i was looking for ammonium dichromate also, but it's very difficult to get, and makes expo time much higher. though I 'd like to try...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In photography the substitution of a sodium salt for the potassium one and vv should be done cautiously. There may be an unintended effect.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Solubility of Potassium Dichromate is 12.3% @ 20C,
    Should the temperature drop from 20C to 10C then roughly half the potassium dichromate will come out of solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Should the temperature drop from 20C to 10C then roughly half the potassium dichromate will come out of solution!
    That's right, I will experience with higher storage temp to see the difference, but now it's winter, atelier is colder than 20°C...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by edwoo11 View Post
    i was looking for ammonium dichromate also, but it's very difficult to get, and makes expo time much higher. though I 'd like to try...
    What process is this? I've never heard about ammonium dichromate being slower than potassium (though I have heard about sodium dichromate being less active than either of the other 2).

You need to make sure you account for the difference in molecular weight of the 2 compounds, but I don't have the numbers at-hand to give you.

--Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin