Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,778   Online: 710

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Life of Cyanotype Chemistry?

We have a batch of chemicals that have been shelved for about a year. Are they worth keeping at this point?

T.I.A.,

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    We have a batch of chemicals that have been shelved for about a year. Are they worth keeping at this point?

T.I.A.,
    Most likely they will be fine. Mix 'em up and give it a whirl.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    127 Format
    Dry they should be fine. Once you've made the solutions one part keeps for a year or so, while the other goes funny after about a month (I forget which is which, but it's VERY obvious - looks like stuff growing in it).

Once you've mixed the two parts they keep a day or two.

Ian

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My solutions are both fine after 8 months - nothing "gone funny" at all. Maybe the smidgeon of oxalic acid I added to each works as a preserving agent?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Luddite, Ha! You are much more technically adanced than that! Oxalic Acid works just fine to kill that funky stuff that grows in one of the solutions.

I ran into the same problem, but the stuff that was growing inside the bottle was able to keep me from opening the bottle and disposing of the stuff.

We are now in our second year of a truce.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Similar question about Van Dyke solution once mixed. Will it keep for very long? (Don't laugh) mine is just over 3 years old. It's well aged
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am using cyanotype solutions now 13 months old with no problems what so ever.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    Dry they should be fine. Once you've made the solutions one part keeps for a year or so, while the other goes funny after about a month (I forget which is which, but it's VERY obvious - looks like stuff growing in it).

Once you've mixed the two parts they keep a day or two.

Ian
    I've never found this to be true. Mixed and stored properly they will last a long time. Store in dark glass jugs. Usually the biggest problem will be mold growth in Part A which can be eliminated with the addition of a few drops of a 100% solution of thymol.

Lately I've been using a 1/2 liter mix made over a year ago for the cyan layer of tri-colored gums.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Similar question about Van Dyke solution once mixed. Will it keep for very long? (Don't laugh) mine is just over 3 years old. It's well aged
    Aggie,

I usually use my solutions of VDB quicker than that but I've found that sometimes an older VDB mix just seems to peter out. The best test is to try it and see. Bad VDB solutions print gray and flat, if it comes out red-brown you are okay. VDB is so inexpensive though that losing a small mix to age doesn't hurt the pocket book too much.

Don Bryant

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin