Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 725

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sabattier effect in negative process

@ Bob Carnie

I want to try the Sabattier effect on 6x9 film (APX 100, Fomapan 100, FP4+, or HP5+). I red Dr.Jolly's article and mixed his solarization developer but didn't find the right method of development and flashing yet.

In a thread on print solarization you wrote that you did solarization on film too. Will you share your experiences?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Look at the other thread, yes I will
    Quote Originally Posted by luxikon View Post
    @ Bob Carnie

I want to try the Sabattier effect on 6x9 film (APX 100, Fomapan 100, FP4+, or HP5+). I red Dr.Jolly's article and mixed his solarization developer but didn't find the right method of development and flashing yet.

In a thread on print solarization you wrote that you did solarization on film too. Will you share your experiences?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not Bob Carnie, but I've done a bit of this on Fomapan 100 (though not using the solarization developer). In general, I find it's easier to get a strong effect with a more active developer.

What's worked for me is to tray develop normally, flash the room lights at the midpoint of development, then finish the normal development time but without agitation. For me the lights generally need to be on for a second or two, but obviously the time varies depending on the strength of your lights and so on. Too short and the effect is minimal, too much and it just produces a low-contrast reversal with a lot of fog; in between is the sweet spot with some of the negative reversed and strong edge effects.

I don't think it can easily be made into a predictable process, which IMHO is much of the fun...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Nathan,

which developer do you take for this process?

lx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luxikon View Post
    Hi Nathan,

which developer do you take for this process?
    I've used HC-110 and PC-TEA (which at 1+50 works roughly like Xtol 1+2). In general I've gotten better results with HC-110, but I'm not sure if that reflects any special characteristic of the developer or is just a coincidence.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    could you show me your pic. with this? i'm going to try that

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin