Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,752   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Cross process C-41 film stand developed in Rodinal (B&W chemistry)

I've got about 10-15 old Kodak Gold films from 200-800 speed, I know I will have to drop the speed by a stop because they are all old and haven't been kept well. But I figure they would be good to practice some stand developing with cross processing in B&W chemistry. I've only done this once in Ilfsol 3 and the images were very dark and hard to see even after scanning.

There are various rules but I wanted to ask the experts.

I've shot a roll of this a few years ago and processed normally and the images were really grainy and dull so I would prefer to use this as B&W but also would like to stand process it and I've read that Rodinal is perfect for this, and since its finally become available again I bought some and would love to try it on this x-process. However I have the following developers available if there is a better choice in order of preferred and available...

Rodinal (Adonal)
    HC-110
    Ilfsol 3
    DD-X
    D-76

Thanks for any advice on times and dilutions (like 1:50 for Rodinal or 1:200 etc) as well as shooting EI for a stronger image to cut through the thick orange base when scanning. ALSO as I said its old film but for consistency sake, let's assume its new C-41 film and I'll do any age compensation.

Thanks!!

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    bump

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi stone

never done it in rodinal
    but i have processed both e6 + c41 in coffee
    the orange ( and yellow ) masks are killer
    but if you can get through them, you get smooth grain.

http://www.apug.org/forums/members/j...evelopers.html

stand develop like everything else ... 25-30mins
    the developer was about 4months old, unreplenished ..

good luck !
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi stone

never done it in rodinal
    but i have processed both e6 + c41 in coffee
    the orange ( and yellow ) masks are killer
    but if you can get through them, you get smooth grain.

http://www.apug.org/forums/members/j...evelopers.html

stand develop like everything else ... 25-30mins
    the developer was about 4months old, unreplenished ..

good luck !
    john
    Well it's more I'm fairly sure you're supposed to over expose by like 1 or 2 stops, also what ratio of Rodinal to use to stand rather than worry about over developing, though I assume it's different than with regular B&W because of the difference in silver content in the C-41 film?

So... that kind of info would help, but it's good to know the images would be blue, I did SOME x-process in Ilfsol 3 with C-41 it was HUGE grain and very dark, I didn't over expose long enough, but again I want to try stand development rather than just normal development.

I think you sent the cafinol recipe but I haven't tried it yet. I will, but working on other things first. Thanks for the info so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi stone

i haven't done this yet but check out jim noel's post ( #29 )
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...acturer-3.html

25mins soaked in the coffee nothing but the coffee ( no vit c, no soda ) ..

so ... if you make a pot of instant coffee, and don't add any of the other ingredients, it will process your color film too.
    jsut bracket your film, and have about 1/2 to burn ... it might work for your color in b/w xperiment.

have fun !

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-31-2013 at 09:27 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: found and added the link
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A good ballpark to use when stand developing with Rodinal is 1:100 for 1 hr. at normal 20C/68F. Agitate normally at the beginning, and then a few slow agitations in the middle of the dev time. I haven't tried this with C-41 films, though, only B&W.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    A good ballpark to use when stand developing with Rodinal is 1:100 for 1 hr. at normal 20C/68F. Agitate normally at the beginning, and then a few slow agitations in the middle of the dev time. I haven't tried this with C-41 films, though, only B&W.
    Thanks! I'll try

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    we have results!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	379.6 KB 
ID:	63448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	414.1 KB 
ID:	63449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-3.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	473.9 KB 
ID:	63450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	386.5 KB 
ID:	63451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-5.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	396.7 KB 
ID:	63452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-6.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	401.7 KB 
ID:	63453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-7.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	370.7 KB 
ID:	63454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-8.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	417.8 KB 
ID:	63455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-9.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	438.3 KB 
ID:	63456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-10.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	671.8 KB 
ID:	63457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-11.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	350.2 KB 
ID:	63458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold200-Rodinal100stand1hr-12.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	562.0 KB 
ID:	63459

The most interesting are the last 4. I decided after seeing jnanian's purple images he scanned in color, that I would scan two in color to see what came out. I didn't get ANYTHING close to the purple he did, however, what's REALLY interesting is that... and tell me if I'm wrong... the RED ribbon in the image looks .... RED... not super red, but it certainly seems to have a pinker/redder hue than the sled or the surrounding scenery. Is it possible that somehow the Rodinal I used had some kind of actual dye in it... I mean the rodinal itself is slightly pink... or some other way that the film though developed in B&W somehow still has a slight color tone to it?

Anyway, Film is Kodak Gold 200 shot at EI50 (Because after research I read that it's a good idea to over expose by two stops, probably partially because of the dark base) and stand developed in Rodinal 1+100 for 1 hour as suggested by Terry Christian (Thanks Terry!!!)

I was using a Zeiss Ikon Contina III so focus was done by eyeballing distance so only a few are spot on since I was shooting at about ... well I THINK it was 5.6, honestly I can't be sure as there's no arrow to where the correct aperture is supposed to be but I would assume center would be where it is (I really need to look up the manual haha) so the shutter was about 1/30 almost the whole time so between the hand held, small aperture, and slow speed, I'm shocked at what I got, but happy.

What do you think?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Very nice results. I wonder how they would print on an enlarger?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

They look great, Stone! In fact, the tonality reminds me of chromogenic films like BW400CN and Ilford XP2 Super; now you know why we're always crowing about those films.
    They also look a tad bit overexposed, as if you could have used an EI of 50 instead if 100. Still, they should print nicely -- you certainly captured all the shadow detail.
    Great stuff!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin