Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,346   Online: 769

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Color Carbon prints by Tod Gangler

Would it be kosher to discuss the negative creation process Tod Gangler might use to make the color separation negatives? I am intrigued by the images he creates and would like to know how he does it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    Never mind. They are digital negs. Damn!
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The simplest analog color separation process will be using a colour enlargement on a copy stand, and snapping three shots of it with colour-separation filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tod is very approachable.

He is using digital negatives now, but he used analog negatives for years, with great success.

My sense was that he would still be using analog materials if his favoured materials were still available to him.

He was quite happy to discuss his procedures (present and past) at the North West Alternative Photography Symposium in Bellevue Washington last fall.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Color separation negatives can be made either in camera or from chromes using TMax films, but the
    devil is in the details. Making really large separations using continuous tone film would be quite
    expensive in this day and age, even if you could locate a reliable supply of a suitable film. FP4 can
    sometimes be used, but TMX or TMY is preferable for separation work. It takes a lot of work to
    calibrate everything, esp with a process like color carbon, so if any one variable changes, or you lose a critical film, you're back to scratch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tod sells his prints for several thousands of dollars each print.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Images
    From my reading it seems the modern way of doing this requires a color image. Is there a way to do this starting with the BW image and working to the color image, since that is the way I want to go?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I think you asking about _ Three color carbon printing? I think "Keepers of light" by Willaim Crawford gives a good ( not Great) but good account of how to start with B&W negatives. But I think he is referring to 3 separate exposures to 3 separate films, with 3 separate filters, in close duration of each other of the same scene, without moving the camera!. ( too bad if a parked car moves in between your three exposures) Al though that might look kinda cool having a "megenta tissue" having the car in it , while the cyan and yellow tissues do not. But if you are asking about starting with one B&W negative, the answer as far as I know is no! sorry dude?? The best i can do for ya!

Images
    That is what I thought. I just don't like working on photo stuff with the computer. If this is somthing I want to pursue I guess I need to get over that. Whelp, it is off to dpug to ask.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    That is what I thought. I just don't like working on photo stuff with the computer. If this is somthing I want to pursue I guess I need to get over that. Whelp, it is off to dpug to ask.
    I'm in the same quandary; at some point down the road I will bite the bullet, gear up and learn how to make separation digital negatives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin