Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,376   Online: 783

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Riiiight, cactus...in Norway, they do real well over there....
    So why do you think I needed a growlight?

If I were growing hemp, I'd simply plant it ouside in the wilderness part of the garden. Grows like mad with 18hrs sunlight throughout the summer
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think that after pricing out the options (fluorescent bank or HID lamp) I'm inclined to look into the possibilities of a bank of incandescent (screw-in) lamps. Any ideas? I know their output is lower, but it's really all I can afford, and maybe I can just build two of them. So, two questions are raised:

1) What type of lamp? I know that they make BLB in incandescent, but is that the only (or best) option?

2) How do I build the array? If anyone remembers Adams' back for his 8x10 enlarger as shown in The Print, that's what I'm thinking about, a box with an array of lamps. But what about spacing both between lamps and between the lamps and the glass for the print? Diffusion glass? I assume some sort of wooden hinged top like a printing frame back. Also, any suggestions on cooling? I know that this would obviously need one hell of a blower to keep it cool. I was thinking about putting a filtered inlet one one side, and a large blower ducted outside of the darkroom on the opposite side. Any ideas of strength? I can easily to up to 550CFM. How many times would the air need to be exchanged to keep it cool?

Thanks.
    -Jason Antman

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photograph of a fuzzy concept." - A. A.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I aquired a used 400w HID and have spectacular results with it. Unless you're printing 16 hrs. a day the increase in your bill isn't really that bad. I love how it works and would really urge you to keep an eye out for a used one. A bulb can be had for about 30 bucks and will last quite awhile. I don't make my negs to thick and find my exposures are around 2-5 minutes normally and if the neg is bulletproof they will go to around 15-20 minutes. Attached is an image with 2:00 under a 400 watt HID.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Locomotive Wheel.jpg  
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah, yeah, yeah...quit showing off Mike..

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You're killing me Jorge! One of the reasons I responded to this thread is that I have what seems to be really short print times. I hear allot longer times than what I do and don't know if it's the light or my negs or whatever.
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mike,
    Are you using a staining developer? I use a 400w HID as well and my times are around an hour for ABC developed negs, and not the bullet proof ones either.

Someone mentioned using incandesent bulbs, wont work, no UV.

Brook

Images
    What kind of reflector/hood are you using?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin