Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,133   Online: 895

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Colour film iso 200 ( pushed to iso 1600) developed in BW chemicals - my examples

hi.

I got few rolls of cheap Kodak color film for 1£ in one of Pound Land . As I never did that before, I developed it in BW chemistry , after I pushed the film from ISO 200 to ISO 1600. I used Kodak (Colourplus and Gold ) ISO 200 , Kodak D76 and Superfix Plus (Tetenal) rapid fixer. I developed the film as HP5+. I used 5mpix film scanner and ADOBE Lightroom for postprocessing. I'm aware that results are not perfect as a whole process is not . It was a nice and very educating experiment for me and I would recommend any greenhorn like me to try it... Some sample photos below..

cheers,

p.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BW FILM K X.jpg   BW FILM Q-2.jpg   BW FILM J.jpg   PICT0069.jpg  
    Last edited by Pawel Kwiecien; 02-27-2013 at 03:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bloody hell, for a push that far on poundland film i am impressed with the tonal range. I have some D-76 mixed up as well might have to give this a go, excellent photos

Out of interest what scanner do you use ? I'm in the market for one, taking photos of my negs with a homemade macro lens just isn't cutting it anymore

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    OK, let me put it right - Negative after developing was VERY dark so after scanning some of scans I had to really strongly process in LR - brightness, contrast , whole shebang - I would do that in real darkroom as well I suppose . I scanned with inexpensive ION film2SD negative scanner and I was really surprised how simple and satisfying whole process was for such a beginner like me . Resolution is not great but I suppose I can get a nice A4 size prints of it , which is fair enough for me ...
    I think if I will stick to pushing from ISO 200 to ISO 400 next time ( as the rule of the thumb is to develop it as a HP5+ ) , grain and tonal range should be better, what do you think ?

p.
    Last edited by Pawel Kwiecien; 02-27-2013 at 04:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    But why would you wish to do this? Is there not a better way of recording images at low level illumination?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Are you suggesting tripod and long exposure time ? Not for me I'm affraid... I suffer for advanced tripodophobia and I like to do photos on the street , off hand with high speed ISO . Beside it has to be developed as ISO 400 so I have to push it anyway...

edit. my mistake - I don't have to push it to ISO 400 ( but I can- to get more speed ) but I just have to develop it as such .

p.
    Last edited by Pawel Kwiecien; 02-27-2013 at 04:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Excellent photos! I'm really interested to try this now.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin