Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,868   Posts: 1,583,289   Online: 1114

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like cooking food, following a recipe strictly is a very good idea at first. But, with experience, tweaking, tasting and fiddling around seems inevitable. Just from years of experience with developing and printing, I can do many things intuitively now that would have been risky or disastrous early on. Still, I always keep notes on a legal pad. Toning, however, is always done by eye. Haven't figured out yet how to be empirical about it since there are so many variables, and so many nuances that depend on the image.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Like cooking food, following a recipe strictly is a very good idea at first. But, with experience, tweaking, tasting and fiddling around ...
    Provides just the right amount of variation that allows you to judge quality!

I thought about this yesterday with a new coffee shop down the street. I know how I like my coffee. First time I went in I thought the coffee was a bit weak. So I felt like I wanted to show them my formula. And yes, the second time I went in and asked them to do it my way. It was a bit messy and clumsy but damn good cup of coffee.

Now if I go in again, I'm going to have to find another way to get it the way I like, they are going to have to fiddle with the "recipe" to suit my taste.

I was wishing for something like a 21-step Stouffer scale for coffee because there just isn't any measure I know. Do you check for baume? Do you check viscosity? Color?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be truly scientific, you need to take the next step.

Based on your experience, develop a hypothesis about why or how something is or will happen, and then figure out a way to test it.

So as an example only, you might do something like refine a process at a particular temperature, then develop a hypothesis about what the effect of a change in temperature might do, and then test it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin