Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,102   Online: 798

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Methyl Cellulose as sizing for gum bichromate

Has anyone used, or know about, methyl cellulose as a sizing solution for gum bichromate? Are there any long term detrimental effects on the paper with methyl cellulose?

I want to make some gums over the weekend and have no gelatine. I coated a few sheets of Bergger COT with a dilute solution of methyl cellulose and some formalin added just prior to coating. The paper is now dry and there seems to be no yellowing.

Have searched the archives but can't find any information about sizing with methyl cellulose.

ced

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lyn I can't vouch for the accuracy but according to WIKI it is used for sizing see link below.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_cellulose

Good Luck with the printing and would love to see the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey

CMC (carboxymethyl cellulose) is used as a sising agent in the paper industry ,i personnaly sold them >10000T but i do not have experience in using it for gum printing ,may be it is possible

JM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Methyl cellulose was recommended to me as an adhesive for "T-hinging" watercolor paintings on paper when mounting and framing. As I understand it, it is acid free, archival and reversible for such use. The fact that it's reversible presumably means it's water soluble. So it should be fine for paper, but I have no idea about the gum dichromate part.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all.

I hope to put the sizing to the test over the weekend. Will upload images if the prints are acceptable.

Lyn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin