Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,462   Online: 905

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question on Potassium Dichromate in Gum Printing

I recently mixed up a 10% solution of Potassium Dichromate and I now have about a half inch of crystals in the bottom of my Boston round bottle.

I noticed this same problem with some 10% solution that I got from Bostick & Sullivan about a year ago.

Is this typical and if not how can I prevent this from happening. Will this affect my printing if I use this solution as is?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Store it at 70 deg. If crystals form, stir,don't shake, to get them back in solution. A magnetic mixer is ideal for such mixing, as well as mixing all developers.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The solubility of poassium dichromate is ~100 g/l at 15C. So if the temperature drops below this then some of the chenical will crystallize out. Always check the solution before use and warm it with shaking to get the dichromate back in solution. Shaking will not harm the solution in any way.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin