Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,162   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Using an inkjet printer to apply Pd/Pt sensitizer to paper.

Has anyone tried using an inkjet printer to apply sensitizer to paper?

I realise that the experiment may destroy the printer, so I will look for a well used Epson 1800 which can be picked up on the cheap, and get some Jon Cone cartridges ($30), and minimally load them with sensitizer for the test. Also, if the process works, a thorough cleaning of the printer would need to be performed following each batch.

Concerns:
    1) Ferric Oxalate could readily clog or otherwise damage the print head.
    2) Particle sizes in solution could be too large.

Advantages:
    1) Totally uniform coating
    2) Selective density of sensitizer would allow dialing in the amount of sensitizer applied, (reducing sensitizer use to the minimum required, but no less.)
    3) Ease of creating shaped sensitized areas on paper, (e.g. oval for old style portrait.)

These are my thoughts. Obviously I do not want to just throw away money if someone else has performed the experiment and determined it cannot work. If anyone has tried this, please post your experiences and results here.

Note: The same technique could be used to apply a Fumed Silica pre-treatment of paper, and the fumed silica particles are small enough (to not pose an issue as the primary particle sizes range from 5nm to 50nm.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    if you can pull it off then you could sell coated paper...good luck!!
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I like ideas like this , I agree with Peter , good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I think it is ridiculous. Pt/Pd is one of the easier sensitizers to coat evenly with a good brush or rod. Why waste the time and effort on such a scheme.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Platinum paper was successfully coated, boxed and sold commercially in the past.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero_Equals_Infinity View Post
    Has anyone tried using an inkjet printer to apply sensitizer to paper?

I realise that the experiment may destroy the printer, so I will look for a well used Epson 1800 which can be picked up on the cheap, and get some Jon Cone cartridges ($30), and minimally load them with sensitizer for the test. Also, if the process works, a thorough cleaning of the printer would need to be performed following each batch.

Concerns:
    1) Ferric Oxalate could readily clog or otherwise damage the print head.
    2) Particle sizes in solution could be too large.

Advantages:
    1) Totally uniform coating
    2) Selective density of sensitizer would allow dialing in the amount of sensitizer applied, (reducing sensitizer use to the minimum required, but no less.)
    3) Ease of creating shaped sensitized areas on paper, (e.g. oval for old style portrait.)

These are my thoughts. Obviously I do not want to just throw away money if someone else has performed the experiment and determined it cannot work. If anyone has tried this, please post your experiences and results here.

Note: The same technique could be used to apply a Fumed Silica pre-treatment of paper, and the fumed silica particles are small enough (to not pose an issue as the primary particle sizes range from 5nm to 50nm.)
    Excellent idea.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A coating rod or brush works pretty good for me (depending on the paper). Most of the sensitizer is not used for the image but will be washed away. An inkjet printer could deposit sensitizer like it normally does it with ink or pigment to print an image. That dried sensitizer image will be exposed uniformly to UV and developed. One could have different "inks" which is sensitizer in different concentrations like normal printers use different black/grays but also different other metals (e.g. gold) to modify color. Only as much Pd/Pt would be used as the image requires. This would be not contact printing but digital printing.
    I would not see a principal problem spraying the sensitizer except it will dry and crystalize in the print head. Flushing and priming could waste a lot of sensitizer.
    Also it would require a lot of printing software development (so not for me). These prints will be as stable as any Pd/Pt print but would it generate similar tonal range that traditional pd/pt prints have?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I think it is ridiculous. Pt/Pd is one of the easier sensitizers to coat evenly with a good brush or rod. Why waste the time and effort on such a scheme.
    Because if it works it enables greater control and consistency, clean borders for the sensitizer, possibly lower sensitizer utilization, and customized shaping and sizing of sensitized areas. And, it means anyone who then wants to dedicate an old printer to the job can do so as well, (again assuming it works.)

If it does not work, I lose a small amount of money thrown into the experiment, which is no big deal.

Besides isn't at least part of the fun of alternate processes performing experiments. If I stay safely within the borders of the known, the boundaries remain fixed, but if I push at those boundaries I may find a way to better achieve my vision.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd be very interested in seeing this trial. As you say, alternative processes are all about experimentation - if it works it may produce similar results and it will just be an interesting exercise. OR, it could produce some other interesting result which could bloom into a whole new process...this is how new ideas turn into something. Go for it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not that we'd do this, but one could then print the image on the inkjet and develop it bypassing a digital negative......and that would mark the downfall of civilization...(:
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin