Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,959   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Carbon printing- Rodinal

Hi,
    I will develop film sheet Ilford HP5+ 400 iso (N) 5x7 inches on bowl with Agfa Rodinal develop to obtain a best negative with density and contrast for the Carbon Transfer Printing.
    Are you a process o help me ?Ilford HP5+ 400 iso Sheet
    Rodinal: Dilution ?
    Temperature: ?
    Time: ?
    Time of agitation of the bath develop

The best fixer with no destroye the negative ? Ilford Rapid fIxer 1+4 3 minutes is OK or no ?

Very thank you for your help

Best regards of Belgium
    Philippe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is the HP5 processing chart from Ilford.
    Here is the HP5 technical information from Ilford (including information on choosing the best developer).

I would not use Rodinal on HP5 because of the massive grain that it results in. I would rather go for ID-11 or DD-X.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try to contact Sandy King who is quiet knowledgeable about the carbon process, there is also a carbon printing group on yahoo I believe. Rodinal works fine with HP5, since carbon is a contact print process you won't see much grain and with a 5x7 neg grain will not be visible on bigger enlargements. The neg should be quiet contrasty to quote sandy king it should have density range of 1.6 (print well on a grade 0 or 1 paper). So I would add some time say 25% to 50% to the published development times. But as I've said contact Sandy King he is one of the kings of the carbon process.

Bonne chance
    Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Merci, thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    is it possible HP5+ 400 iso develop with Rodinal 1+100 during 1 hour ? ???

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    1 hour stand is possible with HP5 in Rodinal in fact it's currently one of my favourite development forms for HP5. 1:100 is extremely compensating and wouldn't give a good negative for Carbon printing imo. The negative should be quiet contrasty so Rodinal 1:25 is a better choice than 1:100 stand.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Merci, Thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, i will buy Agfa Rodinal but it i finish.
    I will exactely the same formula and concentration of the vintage AGfa ROdinal
    I am 2 (same of rodinal). I is
    R09 "one shot" by rollei films and B&W ?
    Fomadon R09 by Foma Bohemi ?
    For this two what is this exactely formula and concentration of the original Agfa Rodinal ?
    Very thank you for you help to choise the best

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    HP5 is my main film. In my experience it is not a good choice for carbon transfer work if you develop it in conventional developers. I've tried it in many developers (including pyrocat), including Rodinol. Of course you can reach a decent DR with conventional developers, by increasing development time but at the expense of higher fb+f. A high fb+f is the problem. You will have more success if you use a high contrast developer such as D-19, which can easily be mixed from scratch. I almost gave up on HP5 for carbon work until Vaughn suggested trying D-19. I dilute it 1:3. Works like a charm!

Here is a scan of a carbon print (HP5 & D-19 1:3). I scanned this before I had a decent scanner. Believe me, the print is gorgeous, even if the subject matter isn't!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toilets.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    If you desire a negative which will print well on carbon you need to change to a slower film.
    FP4+ is a beautiful film which is easily developed to produce the tonal scale needed. I use it in several developers with my primary one being Pyrocat HD+.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin