Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,499   Online: 967

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

2yo ferric oxalate?

Hi guys and gals. After a fairly stressful year, I'm finally going to get back to pt/pd printing - at least until the next crisis hits. My ferric oxalate will be 2 years old next week. It's been refrigerated the whole time. Should I give it a try, or just dump and start from fresh made?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is it liquid, or powder? If liquid, I'd toss it even if refridgerated. If it is dry powder, then it should still be good.

I just mixed up some that was 4 years old. The unused bottle sat in a cupboard in my darkroom. No issues that I could see. Is it still a greenish colour?

Is it liquid, or powder?
    That's a good point. Mine is powder. If it were liquid, I'd probably dump it.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the liquid - looks fine. I do have some powder, so can mix up more. It's just hard to dump a bottle of chemicals I barely used.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Andrew, Scott: What happens when it goes bad?
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    It's the liquid - looks fine. I do have some powder, so can mix up more. It's just hard to dump a bottle of chemicals I barely used.
    Scott is right. Dump it. Ferric Oxalate is so much cheaper than platinum or palladium, and by the time you've worked out that it is stale you will have wasted a much larger value of noble metals.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Andrew, Scott: What happens when it goes bad?
    When I've accidentaly used old FO in the past, it has given a patchy, washed out print. Very ugly and a complete waste.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If it works at all, it will be grainy, unresponsive, the contrast will be way off, and as Ian said, most importantly you'll have wasted several dollars worth of platinum or palladium to prove that a few cents worth of Ferric Oxalate wasn't good anymore.

The dry powder keeps a very long time. Once dissolved into solution, it's got about a six month to one year lifespan.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I figure it would be penny wise and pound foolish to try it out, so I've mixed up a fresh 25ml. 2 years ago I mixed up 100 ml, and barely used a tenth of it. Might have used half, if my life hadn't kept interfering with my photography. I'll stick to 25ml at a time from now on. Can always mix up more if I use it up before it's best-by date.
    Turns out it is sunny this afternoon, rather the the rain that was predicted. I'm gardening while the FO cools and (hopefully) finishes dissolving.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin