Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,844   Posts: 1,582,662   Online: 1074

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Atlanta gravure printers

Are there any APUGers in the Atlanta area who do photogravure? I'd like to see a tour of the process and maybe contract with someone to print a few of my favorite images thusly.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's tough to find them, period. Much less anywhere outside the major cultural epicenters.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If Asheville NC isn't too far for a road trip Clay Harmon is a fantastic printer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Parker, I teach traditional Talbot-Klic dustgrain photogravure as well as photogravure with my analog aquatint screens. I encourage newcomers to standardize their workflow with a screen before proceeding to dustgrain. My studio is in Carolina Beach, NC just 30 minutes from Wilmington ILM airport. The positives are made digitally and I will be adding QTR linearization to my workshops this summer. The workshop is 3 days long and in the middle of the week when beach accommodations are more affordable. Please see this page for more info: http://www.capefearpress.com/gravure_workshops.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    Hi Parker, I teach traditional Talbot-Klic dustgrain photogravure as well as photogravure with my analog aquatint screens. I encourage newcomers to standardize their workflow with a screen before proceeding to dustgrain. My studio is in Carolina Beach, NC just 30 minutes from Wilmington ILM airport. The positives are made digitally and I will be adding QTR linearization to my workshops this summer. The workshop is 3 days long and in the middle of the week when beach accommodations are more affordable. Please see this page for more info: http://www.capefearpress.com/gravure_workshops.html
    Thanks for the reply and website. I recently had the chance to sit down with an original Paul Strand gravure portfolio and was deeply moved by the prints. Right now, I'm bouncing back and forth between silver and pigment prints, not really satisfied by either.

Gravure looks to be a bit of an investment in both time and equipment and it would obviously be easier to learn with someone close to home. I was hoping to work with someone just to get a feel for the process and its demands, but I will most definitely keep your workshops in mind.
    Atlanta, GA

Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Parker

I have taken a Photogravure workshop at Cape Fear Press from Jennifer. It was very good. I recommend this.

I have also taken a short Photo Polymer workshop from Clay Harmon. Also very good but different than photgravure.

Bruce

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for the info!
    Atlanta, GA

Portrait Photography

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin