Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,644   Online: 685

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Richeson brushes in Europe

Just a quick question - after reading much praise about Richeson "magic" brushes I decided to try one. Does anyone know of a seller that might carry the brushes in Europe?
    I looked at Jerry's Artarama but for one 2inch brush (which I think should be enough for 5x7 prints) the shipping costs are higher than the price of the brush itself..

Thanks a lot for any advice.
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't think there's a European reseller of the Richeson brushes (sadly). The da Vinci series 5073 synthetic mottler is a very good alternative. It is slightly stiffer but the bristles are just as soft and make a lovely smooth finish. They are also _much_ more rust resistant than the Richeson brush. These are widely available in the UK and I assume across Europe because they are German.

Here's the da Vinci website: http://www.davinci-defet.com/englisc...and-80-mm.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    The series 5080 are even softer, it is a matter of taste.
    Philippe Grunchec

"The fundamental problem any artist faces in regard to craft is that it must be largely ignored" Richard Benson.

http://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    The series 5080 are even softer, it is a matter of taste.
    Good to know, thanks. I've not tried one of these. I like the slightly stiffer bristles because it helps to get the sensitiser into the paper texture, but I'll give one of these a go when I find one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Which paper(s) do you use? Arches Platine, Bergger COT-320 ?
    Philippe Grunchec

"The fundamental problem any artist faces in regard to craft is that it must be largely ignored" Richard Benson.

http://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    Which paper(s) do you use? Arches Platine, Bergger COT-320 ?
    Herschel (and Buxton) from Ruscombe Mill. Neither of those two work properly with platinum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for answers, Ian and Philippe - that's good news for me. If the da Vinci 5073 is in any way comparable to the Richeson magic then there is no need for me to search further - the 5073 is what I am using now - I need another brush so I thought I might take something supposedly better. Now I can stick to the same - or maybe try the 5080, might work better for non-textured papers like Cot320 (or Arches Aquarelle Satin of which I bought two sheets last week to try out..
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have started using DaVinci 5080 brushes (30mm and 50mm), it has been almost a month I think. It was tricky at first to learn uniform coating with optimum amount of sensitizer. I cannot complain about its softness, I never had the chance to compare it to the other brushes mentioned.
    I use davinci brushes with various papers some roughly textured and some with smooth surface. I do not plan to try any other brush, I cannot imagine how things would get any better.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I used the Richeson 9010 and the DaVinci 5080 and both work equally good for me on several papers except the 5080 wastes a little less sensitizer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin