Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,332   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

The old Kentmere VC Fineprint version...for lith printing?

Hi!I was asking for an other type of papel from the old kentmere's catalogue papers...Now the same seller found in a corner two old Fineprint Vc paper's boxes.At least the price seems honest...but I don't want in my very small darkroom boxes over boxes of paper that I at final can't use for my lith works.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From Tim Rudman's newsletter:

KENTMERE
    FINEPRINT VC FINEGRAIN WARMTONE
    Variable contrast, using Kentmere’s unique bromo-iodide technology. Lith prints to pleasing yellow-brown hues with cold blacks that exhibit gritty grain and texture.
    Note:
    Another Kentmere paper, Fineprint VC, shares the same emulsion as Fineprint
    VC Warmtone, but on a bright white glossy paper. However, it does not lith print.
    The surprising thing, given the emulsion recipe, is not that it doesn’t lith print, but
    rather that the warm tone version does. This is thought to be because of some effect
    from the warmtone pigment used, which is mixed into the emulsion rather than
    onto the paper. The cold version Fineprint VC does however respond well to bleach
    and lith redevelopment after first processing in ‘normal’ developer (‘2nd Pass Lith’).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    According to Tim Rudman in his 3/13 newsletter, Kentmere Fineprint VC Warmtone will lith print but Kentmere Fineprint VC will not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems we were posting at the same time... When it comes to lith printing (and toning) Tim Rudman is the source.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wish he would agree to do workshops in the US again!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A word of caution - The old Kentmere papers were made in Staveley, Cumbria. Since the Harman takeover, all the coating is now done at Mobberley. It is quite likely that changes to the formulations occurred in 2007 that affect the lithability. That said, the Fineprint papers are fibre based, so should last longer than the RC stuff.

Without trying a few sheets, you will never know. If the paper is unresponsive to a first pass lith, then try bleach & second pass lith.

Shooter
    35mm
    So,at the moment we apug`s community don`t know exactly if the kentmere fineprint vc paper is really a lithable paper?...I should buy this box but I now(dou you must believe me!)haven't any corner or a little spot where I can put in these precious articles...
    I think that I can't resiste at all!!!...I think also that it's an interesting occasion;not every day it happens...
    Paul I know that is a nuisance,but i hope you can help me explaining to me the steps I've to do ( in order to make a bleach and seond pass lith)
    Thank you for the patience y for your important help!
    Regards

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

I have some Kentmere VC Fineprint (made by Ilford in Mobberley), but can't recall if I ever used it for a lith print. I can try some over the weekend, but if your (potential) supply is from the Staveley days, it won't be a fair comparison.

The bleach/redevelop process is quite straight forward:
    • Over expose a print by half to one stop.
    • Develop in regular paper developer as usual - It will be way to dark, but don't pull the print early.
    • Fix and wash as normal.
    • Bleach back in a potassium ferricyanide bleach.
    • Redevelop in a lith developer - This can be done under normal lights.

Tim Rudman's 'The Master Photographer’s Lith Printing Course' gives an insight to the process and also covers some of the other bleaches that can be used.

P.S. Might be an idea to update your profile so that we know where in the world you are - Advice on chemicals would vary depending on country.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you very much guys!
    So I can buy this old box fogged Kentmere fineprint vc in order to use it with this development system? (bleach and redevelopment with a lith developer)?

I've a question,could you help me?:are all the fibre papers suitable for bleach and redevelopment printing?

Shooter
    35mm
    So,what do you think my friends? yes or not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin