Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,493   Online: 642

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I left it (11x15 inch sheet) in for 5 minutes. Gave it a thorough washing afterwards.
    If you can test it with modern cyanotype or argyrotype that would be very informative. I think they are the ideal processes for benchmark. Most of the siderotypes are usually improved after acid treatment, but modern cyanotype and argyrotype demand the most out of papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    For calotypes, not cyanotypes, I've been using white distilled vinegar mixed 1:2 with water, 1 hour soak followed by 2 hours wash. I covered the tray while the papers were soaking and the smell did not bother me, I even like it a little... slightly fruity But if I had to mix acetic acid from my concentrate, it would be way too much and I'd try SA right away.

After reading this whole thread a couple months ago, I went to the hardware store and found "dry acid" but the box did not say if there were other ingredients besides SA so I didn't get it.

I've been meaning to go to home depot to get some, but the more I think about it, the more I think I will just stick to the vinegar. It works fine for my purpose: no more fogging problems, it's not expensive, and I always have some here anyway. I only acidify 4 or 5 sheets at a time, so cost and volume just don't come into play for me. If I start working in larger quantities, then I will reconsider SA. Just my 2 cents, and only for U.S version of Canson Marker paper and Greenlaw's calotype process.
    I didn't had the chance to try calotypes, I just know it requires papers without alkaline content. IMO 2 hours wash is a bit long, may be you can test and find a shorter washing time for it. Considering that the 1:2 vinegar is mildly acidic, it should not require a long wash (also calcium acetate is highly water soluble). I am hoping to try calotypes sometime with the same papers washed in SA.

SA dissolved it water also has a very long shelf life, I am re-using the %10 solution until it exhausts or starts to act too slow for my liking.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For the hell of it, I acidified a sheet of Stonehenge in a bath of vinegar, diluted 1:1. Worked very well. Vinegar is heaps cheaper than sulfamic acid. Not yet sure of it's capacity, though, so more testing to do.
    Hi Andrew, i've had tested vinegar before and i had good prints using modern cyanotype. The first workflow i made was 1:1 water/vinegar atleast 10mins presoak and then wash. The second batch i made with different workflow has some problem. Not sure i got some white spots on the prints. I think i presoak my papers for almost 1 hour then wash. I'll try to print again soon so it would be helpful if i could get some other tips. How do you wash your papers? Minutes? Procedure with presoaking would be nicE. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    FILM GUERILLA
    Film Photography All Day, Everyday!

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
    FG Blog

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOOGLE+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
    ...IMO 2 hours wash is a bit long, may be you can test and find a shorter washing time for it.
    Thanks Herzeleid, that is a good idea.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Film Guerilla, I only soaked it in vinegar for 5 minutes and left it to wash for about an hour in a tray with a kodak syphon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
    If you can test it with modern cyanotype or argyrotype that would be very informative. I think they are the ideal processes for benchmark. Most of the siderotypes are usually improved after acid treatment, but modern cyanotype and argyrotype demand the most out of papers.
    I wonder how does untreated Stonehenge works; a good test would also include a heavily buffered paper such as Fabriano Artistico.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Film Guerilla, I only soaked it in vinegar for 5 minutes and left it to wash for about an hour in a tray with a kodak syphon.
    I read some peopLe after pre soaking their papers they dont wash it anymore. Isnt it 1 hour too long for washing? I'll try it soon. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    FILM GUERILLA

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
    FG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Film Guerilla View Post
    I read some peopLe after pre soaking their papers they dont wash it anymore. Isnt it 1 hour too long for washing? I'll try it soon. Thanks
    If you don't intend to store the paper for long term that's probably not a big deal - as long as you keep the papers in a relatively dry environment. OTOH, the presence of acid will definitely have some effect on the printing process - not necessarily harmful, but may affect your calibration... I prefer to wash the papers after dealkalinization, I don't like the idea to keep the acid in the paper...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Loris Medici View Post
    If you don't intend to store the paper for long term that's probably not a big deal - as long as you keep the papers in a relatively dry environment. OTOH, the presence of acid will definitely have some effect on the printing process - not necessarily harmful, but may affect your calibration... I prefer to wash the papers after dealkalinization, I don't like the idea to keep the acid in the paper...
    Thanks Loris! How you guys wash your papers? Just curious if i use the same way how i wash silver gelatin paper wouldbe fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FILM GUERILLA

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
    FG Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes, just wash as you would with silver gelatin papers. I have two vertical washers and can wash up to 20x24 sheets. I don't really like handling 22x30 sheets of paper as very easy to crimped and/or tear, so I cut them down to 15x11. I'll only acidify larger sheets if I'm planning on making a 16x20 kallitype.
    I've got a wack of fibre-based gelatin silver paper (old oriental and ilford mg vc) that I've fixed out. No need to acidify these papers as they give beautiful tones. I sensitize the backside. I like these papers as they have a very nice smooth surface.
    Just picked up 25kg bag of sulfamic acid, and 25kg bag of sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) from local chemical supplier. Very cheap. Very happy!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin