Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,069   Online: 958

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Down here in Australia we have one of particularly noteworthy repute, Gold Street Studios, based in the sleepy, small farming community in Trentham East, Victoria (Google map it), conveniently a few hundred metres from an historic pub, the Pig & Whistle, dating from the gold rush era. And yes, Ron, silver gelatin is also represented.

Principal Ellie Young guides participants through virtually every alternative process you have heard, and quite a few no doubt you have never heard of! It's a gem of a place and workshops are always in demand and fill quickly.

• Gold Street Studios
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In Denmark we employ the concept of the Folk High Schools and our very own APUG'er Gandolfi teaches Alt. Processes at one of those in Vraa. I'm going to attend two of his courses next month!
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Art Institute of Boston, part of Lesley University, has a Masters Program in Photography which includes a lot of alternative process work. Many of the students from that program have been very active buyers of vintage gear at the Photographica shows.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What about Japan, nobody reports about them. May be there are books on silver gelatin and ocr and Google translate is ok. Is there any japanese member at forum ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chiba University has a full line of courses in photography. There are several other schools in Japan that teach photography up to the PhD level.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Santa Fe University of Art and Design (could they come up with a worse name?) has an Alt. process course in the spring. We're actively trying to get more people from that school and the local community to participate in workshops/mentor program here in SFe to teach these techniques.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Virtually all of these courses are qualitative and teach only the barest rudiments of the process of making a photographic material. You might as well just buy a kit and use the stuffer in the box to explain the process.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

University of Alaska is offering a course this summer (2013): Historical and Alternat

hmm, title cut off and can't fix... so:

University of Alaska is offering 3 courses this summer (2013).

1. a 12-week course: JRN (Journalism) F495-F81, Historical and Alternative Photo Processes, CRN 53080 (cross-listed with Art)
    May 28-August 16,
    Syllabus: http://www.uaf.edu/files/summer/JRN-495-F81-revised.pdf

Also a couple weekend courses (info copied because not sure info available off-network; general info: http://www.uaf.edu/summer/weekend-focus/):

2. Cyanotypes - 52687 - ART F040 - F01 Spend the weekend learning how to make your own photo sensitive paper that can be exposed using just the sun! Learn how to print large-scale "digital negatives" of any image, digital or film-based, and print blue-toned images on watercolor paper while enjoying a sunny day. Easy to learn and replicate at home with cheap supplies. [how often do you see the word 'cheap' used by universities these days!!?]

- and -

3. Van Dyke Browns - 52689 - ART F040 - F02 Spend the weekend learning how to make your own photo sensitive brown-toned paper that can be exposed using just the sun! Learn how to print large-scale "digital negatives" of any image, digital or film-based, and print images using this antique technique on watercolor paper while enjoying a sunny day. Easy to learn and replicate at home with inexpensive supplies.

I'm not sure, but as these are non-credit classes, I think they're cheap, ~us$60. Sounds too good to be true, but certainly less than &100-150.

The instructor, Jason Lazarus, is "into it": [ http://m.newsminer.com/news/local_ne...9bb30f31a.html ], [ http://lucidperceptions.com/ ]
    I'm thinking of taking it (rudiment or not, it'll teach me something I don't know much about now with opportunity to ask questions of experienced practitioner - I'd love to learn more but hours in the day, money, and distance to GE House preclude me going full-tilt; but something better than nothing!)
    Otherwise I'd just waste the money (~$700) on film, or lenses, or food or clothing or rent anyway ...
    Last edited by Robert Liebermann; 05-06-2013 at 04:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Robert J. Liebermann
    photos: http://rjl.us/photo
    Eureka Alaska/Vermillion Michigan USA

Shooter
    Large Format
    University of North Florida in Jacksonville offers an Alternative Photographic Processes course that is part of their Art & Design curriculum. The course description is:
    "This course will explore alternative ways of imaging with photographic materials. Emphasis will be on historical and contemporary techniques, as well as on the hand-altered photograph and its potential for artistic expression. " Paul Karabinis is the instructor.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i believe RISD teaches a handful of alt-courses, but not emulsion making.
    while taking a workshop at GEH would be a wonderful experience, workshops
    which last a few days often cost as much as an entire course at a university ( which last 7 to 9 weeks? ).

when i was a college student ( 1980s ) there were no alt process courses, just silver / trad. darkroom
    and i taught myself how to make a simple emulsion ... no internet, no workshop, no mentor ...
    just a manual from around 1904.
    it was great fun, and an eye opener! but i later used liquid emulsions from a local store
    which was much more consistent ( to say the least ).

taking a FULL SEMESTER on making an emulsion ... and USING IT would be a great course IMHO ...
    as much ALT and FUN as anything else out there ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin