Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,208   Online: 920

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Number of schools that teach alt processes

I hope I have posted in the correct forum. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a stat on how many schools, colleges, universities teach alternative processes. By this I mean everything other than traditional darkroom.

Best,
    Doug Schwab

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't know about USA, but in England health & safety rules out quite a few of these processes.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by artonpaper View Post
    I hope I have posted in the correct forum. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a stat on how many schools, colleges, universities teach alternative processes. By this I mean everything other than traditional darkroom.

Best,
    Doug Schwab
    My school, Alfred University in Western NY state, has a class exclusively dedicated to alternative process. Students learn Cyanotype, VDB, Pt/Pd, Kallitype, Gum-Bichromate, as well as the use of liquid emulsions like Liquid Light and Black Magic. Most students choose to use a digital original, or scan 35mm/medium format film and then output a larger neg from our Agfa Imagesetter, but a select few (myself included, when I took the class last year) do contact their own 4x5 negs.

I'm graduating from the BFA program there in 2 weeks, with my BFA exhibit 6 days from now! I'm about to head to the darkrooms to keep working on 30x30" b/w prints...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    My school, Alfred University in Western NY state, has a class exclusively dedicated to alternative process. Students learn Cyanotype, VDB, Pt/Pd, Kallitype, Gum-Bichromate, as well as the use of liquid emulsions like Liquid Light and Black Magic. Most students choose to use a digital original, or scan 35mm/medium format film and then output a larger neg from our Agfa Imagesetter, but a select few (myself included, when I took the class last year) do contact their own 4x5 negs.

I'm graduating from the BFA program there in 2 weeks, with my BFA exhibit 6 days from now! I'm about to head to the darkrooms to keep working on

30x30" b/w prints...
    University of Arkansas in Fayetteville is much the same. I am taking the class in the fall. I am a senior BFA student with over a year left.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys, you are learning the complete alternative process if you study making gum bichromate, Pt/Pd, VDB and etc, but you are not learning silver gelatin, the most important process of them all as it has been kept secret and is now vanishing! I consider classes without some sort of silver gelatin to be incomplete. Using Liquid Light or other such products is like having the instructor hand you premade VDB or Pt/Pd solutions with no information on what is in there!

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Point Park University has a decent photography program from what I've heard (including alternative and large format) - http://www.pointpark.edu/Academics/S...ms/Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would like to congratulate Chris Lange and Darkroom317. I teach photography in Brooklyn College and our BFA students have been having their shows. A lot of hard work and a lot excitement.

At BC we have made Photo 1, an analogue class, the prerequisite to Digital Photography. Getting 35 mm SLR cameras is getting tricky, though. But i think the Photo Engineer is referring to emulsion making, yes? That we haven't tackled yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes,without emulsion making what is a course in photography. It is just mix and stir!

Send them to a workshop at George Eastman House.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin