Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,661   Online: 647

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'll give that a try

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    May I suggest that you don't put a puddle of Silver Nitrate solution on the paper and if coating by brush redip the brush in the solution as you coat.
    Still working on my salt printing technique. I'll give that a try. I'm afraid of contaminating the silver nitrate solution with from salt on the paper though.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Still working on my salt printing technique. I'll give that a try. I'm afraid of contaminating the silver nitrate solution with from salt on the paper though.
    Then can I suggest you decant into a small pot the approximate volume you need for your given size of paper first. After repeated use, you will soon get a feel for the right amount.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still figuring out how much for each 5x7. So far, 1 ml might be too much for my watercolor paper.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Clive's suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    May I suggest that you don't put a puddle of Silver Nitrate solution on the paper and if coating by brush redip the brush in the solution as you coat.
    I have just printed two test strips to see if the stains would be formed. On purposely, I poured and started coating from the middle. I must say, although they are quite weak (probably due to acidity), they are visible. and that is not good

If you pour SN to the edge of your coating area and later mask that part, it might also work.
    But the simplest way seems to be dipping the brush into SN as clive suggested. I would do some tests tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Cliveh and Herzeleid. Very helpful information. Isn't APUG great?
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep it is

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An update...

I have increased the concentration and decreased the amount of of citric acid in order to lessen the dilution of final volume of SN+CA used for coating.
    I have mixed %50 citric acid. (you can dissolve up to 70grams of CA per 100ml)

I added 1 drop of %50 CA per 0,5ml of SN.

So roughly to coat 8x10 inches area it is 1,5ml SN + 3drops of %50 CA. (The optimum amount of SN might change with paper so consider it as a guide only)

I left the coated paper in 27C %60RH condition for an hour. There was no fogging. If fogging happens it happens before the paper gets dry, so I believe the amount of CA is safe.
    Maintaining the solution used for coating around the optimum volume would help IMO.The coating would be easier and less prone to problems because it would require less brush strokes or less passes with glass rod.

Regards,
    Serdar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey thanks for all your wonderful research! I'm slowly trying the glass rod. My paper is too wavy. But I'll start mixing the 50% citric acid solution.

Best,
    Don
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My pleasure, coating wavy paper with rod is problematic. I used to do coat with glass rod. I taped the paper from all corners, sometimes the whole edge to get it as flat as possible. I am now trying DaVinci brushes, but I will try the rod again to compare.

Anyway, If anyone has a tip to flatten the wavy paper after gelatin coating, that would be great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Serdar, flattening with a dry mount press and/or (more likely to work) coating both sides with gelatin may help?

Regards,
    Loris.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin