Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,892   Online: 976

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Salted gelatin printing

Today was my first time I did salt printing with gelatin. I'm getting a weird stain. It doesn't show up until I fix then wash the print. The stain intensifies in the wash. The pattern is usually on the left side where put the puddle of silver nitrate before brushing on the solution. Can a puddle of solution sitting too long before coating the paper than the rest of the print can cause staining?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I know what you mean. The part you pour SN has a stronger density than the rest, probably in the same shape of the puddle formed initially. If you let it sit for long it will have different density than the rest. Pouring SN and quickly brushing might help. I don't seem to have that problem anymore.

Have you tried mixing your SN with %10 citric acid before coating (not mixed in bottle) 1+1 or 2+1, you would have more solution to coat but it seems to be working fine for me. Acid additive prevents premature fogging of paper in humid conditions, it might lessen the stain you get too.

As I said I don't seem to get that stains anymore unless I am slow to start brushing or pushing the solution. I always mix SN with some acid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Herzeleid.

I never thought of that. I think you're right. You're right. I salted the paper with a solution of citric acid, gelatin and salt. I guess it isn't enough citric acid. I work by pouring out about 5mls then use a syringe to measure out what I need. I guess I can mix some citric acid into the the batch I'm using. Or possible work faster. Thanks for the suggestion.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I mix acid before coating. I did not added to the gelatin before. I do not know how it behaves, but that sounds quite reasonable. (albumen binder contains acid too)

I think 1 part %5 citric acid 1 part silver nitrate mixed before coating would work fine. I prefer %10 citric acid, but I fear 1+1 is unnecessarily diluted, so I have decided to mix %20 citric acid and add half the amount (2 + 1 ). I might even increase it to %40 to lower the dilution of SN. I am doing some testing with salts at the moment myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm using a 12% solution of SN with out the 5% citric acid solution. So what concentration of SN are you using? Is it very humid where you live?

Don
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What color is the stain? I've experienced defects in salted prints because the paper hadn't fully dried in one spot compared to an adjacent area. One part would be blue-gray and the other part maroon-gray. I started drying the paper longer before printing on it and that problem went away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I'm using a 12% solution of SN with out the 5% citric acid solution. So what concentration of SN are you using? Is it very humid where you live?

Don
    I used to use acetic acid for mixing it but now I am using citric acid. The formulas I have found on the internet often pointed to a %5 solution of citric acid, but I started using %10 because CA is a weak acid.

I am using %12 SN solution too. To coat an area of 8x10 inches I would measure 1,5ml of SN and add 1,5 ml of %5 citric acid and mix it (3ml in total that is a too much to coat IMO).

But I am rather going to do it like this for 8x10 inch, 1,5ml of SN plus mixed with 0,5ml %20 citric acid. The final solution would be less diluted with water and easier to coat IMO. Acidity would be the quite similar, slightly stronger.

It is quite arid here actually, it is around %25-30RH during the day. I use a USM humidifier in the work place and keep the humidity between %50 to %60. That is also one of the reasons I prefer stronger acidity in the mixture to ensure that the papers are not fogged prematurely. I am yet to test if low humidity or somewhat moderate humidity is better for salt print. (in terms of dmax and tonality)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It's brownish

Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    What color is the stain? I've experienced defects in salted prints because the paper hadn't fully dried in one spot compared to an adjacent area. One part would be blue-gray and the other part maroon-gray. I started drying the paper longer before printing on it and that problem went away.
    The stain is brownish and usually in the left side. It's in the same shape as the puddle. It intensifies when I wash the print.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
    I used to use acetic acid for mixing it but now I am using citric acid. The formulas I have found on the internet often pointed to a %5 solution of citric acid, but I started using %10 because CA is a weak acid.

I am using %12 SN solution too. To coat an area of 8x10 inches I would measure 1,5ml of SN and add 1,5 ml of %5 citric acid and mix it (3ml in total that is a too much to coat IMO).

But I am rather going to do it like this for 8x10 inch, 1,5ml of SN plus mixed with 0,5ml %20 citric acid. The final solution would be less diluted with water and easier to coat IMO. Acidity would be the quite similar, slightly stronger.
    Hey thanks for the tip! I'm going to give it a try. I'm still new to salt printing and still have to get my process perfected.
    Best,
    Don
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    The stain is brownish and usually in the left side. It's in the same shape as the puddle. It intensifies when I wash the print.
    May I suggest that you don't put a puddle of Silver Nitrate solution on the paper and if coating by brush redip the brush in the solution as you coat.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin