Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,542   Online: 972

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

photosensitized ceramics

One of our ceramics instructors wants to try placing photo images on clay.
    She has been doing some research and has passed on to me an article which gives some basic information.

We will be helping her in the darkroom part of the process, and am looking of any tips that may be helpful from anyone who has been using this process.

Based on the article i am reading, it seems as if one of the Rockland products would be a good emulsion to use. Anyone out there using this process, or have tried it out for themselves?

regards. ann

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    She has been doing some research and has passed on to me an article which gives some basic information.

We will be helping her in the darkroom part of the process, and am looking of any tips that may be helpful from anyone who has been using this process.

Based on the article i am reading, it seems as if one of the Rockland products would be a good emulsion to use. Anyone out there using this process, or have tried it out for themselves?

regards. ann
    Ann,

You really need to post this question on the Alternative Process Mail List. You will find a number of experts in this area that post there. Also you can search their archives and get tons of relavant information.

Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been considering this because my brother just got a kiln and we've seen fired photographic images. I'm thinking any process that uses a gelation emulsion would be incompatible. It would most likely be a process like salted print or platinum palladium coated directly on the bisque, exposed and processed, then fired under a clear glaze. I think an unglazed tile would be a good place to start. We will probably try this out before too long. I'll be interested to see what you can find out in your efforts
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann

regards. ann
    I don't know about Rockland products, but if you want to get good image quality, you must pay attention to provide good smooth surface on which the emulsion is coated. How you can do this depends on the surface of the ceramic, glazed or otherwise.

Generally, you want to use sizing with well hardened gelatin. Then coat the emulsion on it. Another good sizing material is stylene butadiene latex copolymer. Fujifilm sells this in a bottle as "Art Emulsion Binder" but it may be hard to buy in the U.S.

Also, don't forget to harden the emulsion itself as well.

Hope this helps.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks to everyone, this is going to be an interesting experience.

When i agreed to assist in the darkroom end of things i thought the instructor had a better handle on the process. SHe is a great person and makes real fun stuff, but is a bit in lala land about the process.

And of course, i know nothing about clay, except you have to throw it around to get the air out. Am sure it has a technical name, but don't remember it from college when i did take one class.:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Generally images for ceramics are either silkscreened or applied using a process much like carbon printing.

Commercially other processes are used as neither of the above processes are fast enough for mass production work.

Somewhere out there is a really good site covering the traditional process. Once upon a time I had it bookmarked but can't seem to find it now..

Cheers,
    Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Alternative Photographic Processes, Webb & Reed, ISBN 1-883403-70-7 mention that gum printing can be used on unglazed tiles. Watercolour pigment is substituted with underglaze pigment, the tile coated, exposed, washed and dried. Coat with transparent glaze and fire.

Hope that helps,
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin