Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,122   Online: 1276

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Look for canisters that are rated for organic solvents. They should be more than sufficient for pyrogallol, pyrocatechin, and various forms of dichromate/bichromate.
    Yes, the cannisters rated for organic vapors will also filter out very small particulates. When you weigh out materials--especially anything dusty--go slowly and carefully to avoid aerosolizing the material.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem with both these chemicals is from dust being inhaled during mixing of a solution. A good dust mask, goggles, nitrile gloves should provide enough protection. Once in solution the only danger is from skin contact or ingestion. Neither of these chemicals generates what is strictly speaking fumes.

However, catechol does have a measurable vapor pressure and the solid should only be used with good ventilation.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you all.

Do catechol developer create danger with skin contact. I am not developing films for 20 years and it could be messy. I will use the bathroom to develop the films and is it safe to detergent and lots of water to clean the ceramic tiled ground or does chemical sticks to the piping and fume back from there ?

Umut

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Skin contact with catechol is hazardous. If you thoroughly rinse surfaces that come into contact with the developer, they should be safe. Nitrile gloves will prevent most skin exposure, and you can be careful to minimize developer contact with surfaces you routinely touch, like a sink or tub. I'd dump the developer down a utility sink or toilet. There's no vapor hazard from washed surfaces.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Do I need to dumb the catechol developer after use or collect and pour back to developer bottle. How many times I can use a used developer ?

Thank you all,

Umut

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Pyrocat HD (which I recommend) is one shot--discarded after development.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Barry ,

I love Sandy King Works very much and I googled it after you recomended and Bostick Sullivan sells total 1 liter two part Pyro HD developer for 26 dollars. It makes 50 liter developer and if my tank is 400 cc , it develops 110 rolls 6x6. It costs 60 cents per roll with shipping. If I buy a scanner , 110 rolls development and scan costs me 100 dollars. If I order it here , it costs nearly 800 dollars in Istanbul.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Staining developers are by their very nature intended for single use. This is because of the low level of preservative needed to produce a stain image. Only the concentrates have a shelf life. Once diluted they should be used immediately and then discarded.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have been using the B+S Pyrocat for about 6 years now (?) and the only time I've had issue with the concentrate was after about 9 months, 1/4 full bottle of solution A went bad.

When tank developing, make sure to mix A + B during the presoak (if you do that) or directly before use, otherwise you'll get a weak image.

And as others have said, the stuff is fairly toxic so use common sense caution. My mother said I developed into a nice young man, but I don't think that was because of drinking the Pcat.
    K.S. Klain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin