Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,954   Online: 707

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Any Fume from Pyro and Dichromate Dangerous

Do pyro developers and dichromate generate fume in the darkroom dangerous ?

Umut

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No, both are in aqueous solutions and the dangers of inhalation are very low.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can I suggest that you shouldn't consider using Dichromate until you have read the MSDS?

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927404

It's pretty nasty stuff.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I believe mixing from powder is an issue. And you must be very careful. The chemists here can elaborate with the correct answer.
    I have my pyro made and get it in liquid A and B form and I can say there is no issue using it this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Do pyro developers and dichromate generate fume in the darkroom dangerous ?

Umut

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A respirator (with the correct cannisters) is a good investment for handling toxic, carcinogenic and mutagenic solids, and toxic solvents. I always wear nitrile gloves when working with hazardous materials and yes--always read the MSDS before you work with any chemical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If by pyro you mean pyrogallol then both the powder and solutions are very dangerous. In solution it is rapidly absorbed thru the skin. The LDlo (smallest lethal dose) is 26 mg per kg of body weight. Even in small amounts repeated skin contact should be avoided. Contact with dichromate solutions can cause skin irritation. Ingestion can be fatal in very small amounts. When dealing with the powders wear a respirator and nitrile gloves. With solutions gloves are still required. If possible I would recommend avoiding either chemical.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As an aside to this post can everyone please]stop using the word pyro. It is a very old-fashioned term and not a scientific name and is confusing because some people refer to both pyrogallol and catechol by using the same name pyro. So in the future let us all agree to use only accepted chemical names (those recognized by the IUPAC) in this instance pyrogalol and catechol.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 05-28-2013 at 10:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    As an aside to this post can everyone please]stop using the word pyro. It is a very old-fashioned term and not a scientific name and is confusing because some people refer to both pyrogallol and catechol by using the same name pyro. So in the future let us all agree to use only accepted chemical names (those recognized by the IUPAC) in this instance pyrogalol and catechol.
    I'm an offender of this and will try to make sure I am more specific. I agree, this is quite important.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Gerald and all Friends ,

Thank you for all answers ,

Could you please give me the correct respirator canister numbers for either dichromate and pyrogallol ? And how do they classified and subclassified either in Europe and US ?

Umut

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look for canisters that are rated for organic solvents. They should be more than sufficient for pyrogallol, pyrocatechin, and various forms of dichromate/bichromate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin