Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,817   Online: 867

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Printing out calotypes

Hi Everyone,

I have a nagging feeling this is a stupid question. But here it is.

Everything I've read and experienced has suggested that for salt prints and other silver chloride printing out processes, a negative with plenty of contrast is desirable.

Here's where I get confused. I've seen many of pictures of calotype negatives, posted online and in Alan Greene's book. They don't look particularly contrasty. In fact a lot of them look to my eye slightly flat. Yet these were used for printing out, and still are.

What am I missing? Am I just wrong and not seeing the contrast in the negatives ( maybe because of the color? )

Ned

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've seen a fair number of calotypes in museum exhibitions and they've all been very contrasty. It may be the poor reproduction in books that's misleading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I've seen a fair number of calotypes in museum exhibitions and they've all been very contrasty. It may be the poor reproduction in books that's misleading.
    Thank you! That answer makes perfect sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The color of the negative plays an important part too: Silver chloride is sensitive to UV and blue light. The brownish-yellowish-greenish tints present in calotype negatives are all strong blue filters - think of Pyro negatives...

Regards,
    Loris.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin