Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,940   Online: 941

Shooter
    Medium Format

daguerreotypes on mirror?

I was just wondering since daguerreotypes are made with silver coated copper plate, could you use a front surface mirror instead?
    Mirror coating a piece of glass is not too difficult.
    Rob

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Commercial front surface mirrors have either got a Silver or a Aluminium layer. There will be a protective coating too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In theory, yes; in practice, you may find that the silver has to be a good bit thicker than can easily be deposited by the Brashear process, and vapor-deposited layers tend to have internal structure and stress that will react differently from electroplated silver.

I played with this back in the 1970s (using a laboratory evaporator and Corning 7059 glass) but saw that the silver film was much too fragile. What I would still like to try is using chromium for adhesion and copper for conductivity, and electroplating enough silver to make a Daguerrotype. (It is easier to get a mirror surface on glass than on thin copper.) But this is not something that scales down gracefully, and I doubt that anyone who doesn't already have the equipment would acquire all of it just for this purpose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Front surface mirrors will not use silver since they are essentially unprotected against hydrogen sulfide in the air which would otherwise quickly turn them black. A conventional mirror (looking glass) has a thick protective coating on the back to protect the silver coating.

So get out your buffing pads. One must suffer for one's art.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-06-2013 at 05:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Front surface mirrors will not use silver since they are essentially unprotected against hydrogen sulfide in the air which would otherwise quickly turn them black. A conventional mirror (looking glass) has a thick protective coating on the back to protect the silver coating.

So get out your buffing pads. One must suffer for one's art.

I do already. I carry around a RB-67-with a tripod

Well it's good to find out that it can't be done. You don't go crazy trying to make it work,and you can spend the time on something else

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC, JG Motamedi (I believe that's his username) has done this on glass that he has silvered himself. There was a topic about it here back in 2009 or so. I'll find the link.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242 View Post
    Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin