Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,434   Online: 1132

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Loss of mid-tones when using lith film is most likely due to developer choice. A huge number of people use diluted paper developer, why escapes me.
    The need is for a softer working developer. Since paper developers are many times more active than are film developers, a diluted film developer makes far more sense. If you don't believe this, try developing paper in full strength film developer.
    Over the years I have used HC110 1+127 from syrup, D-76 diluted 1+4 or 5, D-23, among others. Currently I use Somarkos LC-2 which is superb for this process providing tremendous control over both the positive and the new negative.
    I've been using Ilford PQ 1+14. I have enough D76 on hand that I'd be willing to try your D76 1+4 and compare.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    jim noel...what is somarkos LC-2
    website down for maintenance!

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you tried Googling it, you probably came up empty. Should be Soemarko.

For starters: http://www.farahmahbub.com/VirtualMa...ulasGalore.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks...my google got hijacked by ask.com...getting it fixed now!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M Stat View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the use of pyro developers for dupe negatives. Bob Herbst describes an elegant process for making dupe negs for alt processes on his web site, www.bobherbst.com. I have been using his method for years and I feel it is the best way to create enlarged negs that I have seen. It is the stain of the Pyro negative which works so well as a UV light resist for alt processes.
    The film Herbst mentions he uses, APHS, has been discontinued, and the film Freestyle says is its replacement (Arista-II Ortho film) is "not currently available" according to Freestyle's website.

So... what film(s) are you using in this process?
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never mind, I found it:

Arista Ortho Litho Film 2.0
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I apologize for not responding sooner. I still have a dwindling supply of the old APHS film for making enlarged duplicate negatives, and I don't know how the new film will respond to pyro developer. Maybe Bob Herbst has a better answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just picked up some of the Fuji MI-DUP film, 10x12 and will give it a try. I have some of the newer Freestyle Arista film and will give that a try with the LC-2 developer and see how that works as well. I will try to get back on my results.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post
    I just picked up some of the Fuji MI-DUP film, 10x12 and will give it a try. I have some of the newer Freestyle Arista film and will give that a try with the LC-2 developer and see how that works as well. I will try to get back on my results.
    Robert,
    I've also been using the MI-DUP and finding much easier to work with than lith film. I experimented with lith for quite a while with diluted HC-110 and LC-2 developer. Lith is a beast to tame. I was trying all different methods to keep the contrast down, including extremely dilute developer and extremely subtle agitation (including brush development). I also found that edge development was exaggerated. Of course it depends upon your image but with lot's of sky on the edge of the image, I was finding unevenness of tone a real problem.
    Also, the mid-tones would begin to get quite flat at the same time.
    X-ray dupe film has been much easier to work with. It's almost the opposite to lith. I've been using dektol almost straight with short development times (3 minutes). The lith were up to 18 minutes!
    I've replaced my enlarger bulb to a brighter 150w bulb and use a glass carrier because of the extra heat. This is cut my times down but still around 60 seconds at 5.6.
    The main way to control contrast of the negative is altering your developer strength.
    The dupe film is weird to work with though, totally opposite than normal film/paper. It gets confusing at times, especially when you start dodging and burning! dodging to darken and an area!
    I'm still having issues with agitation. The images I'm working with have a white background, and keeping that consistent is not easy. I've started trying brush development which hopefully will help.
    Personally, I would say, stay with the x-ray dupe film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried the MI-DUP film and really like the results. I will have to fine tune it with different developers. Tried it initially with formulary BW-65,but I have some Ilford multigrade that I will try next or I may mix my own D-72.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin