Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,786   Online: 867

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Platinum Printing at home

My experience with alt processes is limited to lith prints and once watching a guy do daggueros ...

My question is:

Is platinum printing feasible in a home darkroom?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Platinum printing doesn't really require a "dark" room. The emulsion is applied in subdued light and is UV sensitive. You don't expose under an enlarger, you contact print under a UV lamp.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Yup. No special tools required, except for a UV light source and plenty of money!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oooh. Well, nevermind. I don't shoot large format so contact prints are not a very good option. I just like the tones I see in platinum prints, thought it might be fun to experiment with.

Thanks for the info!

Shooter
    35mm
    I would recommend playing with bleached/toned cyanotype as a less expensive precursor to PT/PD. It is a somewhat similar procedure and can yield quite surprising results with practice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4074289326_27c5293f7c.jpg   4073531901_43c6ce2321.jpg   4041021793_cf07557b9c.jpg  
    Last edited by JBrunner; 07-02-2013 at 09:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's certainly feasible, but you'd do well to experiment first with the other things like cyanotypes and toned cyanotypes for cheap hands on fun and learning. Same tools and paper, different chemistry. There are many images that make a terrible silver print and an awesome alt process print. Tones, midtones, colors, can make it or break it sometimes and it's good to have the creative output options.

Many people make big negatives with a scanner and inkjet printer which they use to make alt process contact prints.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I echo the cyanotype suggestion. I started my alt explorations with digital negatives and cyanotypes. Now I own multiple LF cameras, and have fooled around with gum, platinum, and carbon as well.
    It's a slippery slope, but a fun toboggan ride.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now I want to make 4x5 cyanotypes. Damn you guys.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cyanotype has a nice look to it, too. Might be worth exploring!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    FYI: we're reconfiguring the Cyano formula at BS with better DMAX and blues, so hopefully we can get that out this summer. There's been arguments if people would be interested, but I think it's great fun. I highly recommend playing with cyanos, but be forewarned on two things:

First, cyanos are very contrasty, so your negs won't perform very well if they were developed for silver. PT/PD on the other hand, has a much more linear curve to it.

Second, it's addicting!

Both are easy to do in terms of mixing/coating/exposure, but getting it 'right' takes practice. Unfortunately, PD/PT prices aren't coming down.

There's also another process called the Athenatype that might be available soon as well, which uses silver instead, but has a very similar look to PT/PD at a huge cost savings. Hopefully I can get a write up on that as well (summer is difficult! Too much to do!)
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin